Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Newbie Investing

Zola.Zola. Forumite
2.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
I am keen to dip my toes in investing. I am reading an investing book at the moment but it's US focused.... I am still learning some good information that I am sure crosses over.

Can anyone recommend some good books that will help me on my way? Ideally something recent and easy to read. I am aware of sites like monevator etc.

I am 30 years old, home owner, no debt other than the house mortgage.

I am interested in something like Vanguard Life Strategy 60 and 'safeish' ETF's. I am after a long term investment, like 10-15 years. What do you think about that fund?

I would have a few thousand to put in to begin with, and then a few hundred to invest each month. I would like to invest around £250 into ETF funds each month and maybe £50 in much more risky small and medium cap shares for tech startups etc for a little bit of fun.

Can anyone who has been in in a similar position to me please advise on a basic strategy etc? Pitfalls to avoid etc?

Replies

• ColdIronColdIron Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Tim Hale's Smarter Investing is a good start. He has a preference for passive investing but it appears so do you. Make sure you go for the 3rd edition (2013)
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    16.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have a look at www.monevator.com for more ideas
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • BLB53BLB53 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Can anyone recommend some good books that will help me on my way? Ideally something recent and easy to read. I am aware of sites like monevator etc.
    I like 'DIY Simple Investing' which has been reviewed on the monevator site

http://monevator.com/using-vanguard-lifestrategy-funds-life/

I think for simplicity, the Vanguard LS funds are hard to beat - I hold the LS60 in my ISA. I think over time it will provide a better return than active funds - although I still retain some of my investment trusts!

The hardest thing for me is sticking to my plan when the markets are volatile such as the early part of this year.

One thing to avoid - don't look at your portfolio too often! Good luck.
  • Zola.Zola. Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just bought Tim Hale's book, 22 quid for the Kindle! I hope its worth it! haha...

Also just joined Hargreaves Lansdown and filled in the form for buying stocks and shares in the US.

Exciting!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals