UK unable to text Tanzania

Options
vigman
vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi

My sister has lived in Tanzania for many years on and off. She and her husband have mobile accounts there with Vodacom, Tigo and Airtel.

They can send texts to the UK on all of these phones, but are unable to receive them?

It IS possible to ring all their phones from the UK. The phones are all different manufacturers.

If this was one network I could understand, but not all three. Please could anyone help explain this?

The help lines there have no answer

TIA

Vigman
Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Three providers there, but what about UK? Did you try other providers? Fishtext?
  • vigman
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Three providers there, but what about UK? Did you try other providers? Fishtext?

Thank you. I had not seen Fishtext before and it looks very interesting.

I would still be interested to know why the UK texts are no longer getting through though, if anyone can help?

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • afzaal1988
    afzaal1988 Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would help if you tell us what network you are using?
    Have you tried different network sim even on pay as you go?
  • vigman
    Options
    No-one can text them from the UK from any network.

Vigman
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    vigman wrote: »
    No-one can text them from the UK from any network.

Vigman

It can't be as arbitrary as that, the networks show charges to call/text Tanzania.

What is the number format you are using to try and text to?
    ====
  • vigman
    edited 25 April 2016 at 9:55AM
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    It can't be as arbitrary as that, the networks show charges to call/text Tanzania.

What is the number format you are using to try and text to?

I assure you it is. Between friends and family members, there must be 10 of us with different phones and networks who can ring but not text the three different phones in Tanzania.

To put a bit of history to this, they have been there for most of the year for the last 8 years and ringing or texting mobiles for any of us has never been a problem whatever network/phones they were on or whatever phones/network we had.

Even the first few months of this session was OK. Then suddenly, no texts were coming through from the UK on any of the three phones or networks.

These are numbers, services and phones that have all been able to receive texts from the UK until fairly recently. They can send texts to and from each other and we can phone any of the mobiles from any services.

As an ex technical IT Manager this one is as much a mystery to me as anyone else. When I connect to their computer to audio chat through TeamViewer, I can hear my mobile connect a voice call almost immediately but nothing happens when I text.

Either 00 255 or +255

TIA

Vigman

PS......just had one thought......will report if I'm right.....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A third party provider such as Viber or Whatsapp would probably be a workaround - as would imessaging if all using iPhones
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are the 3 phones all on the same Tanzanian network? if so, can you text to another Tanzanian network? Get them to swap out SIM's for the other two networks to test.
    As above, Whatsapp would be a much cheaper solution anyway. assuming they have data access.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • vigman
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Are the 3 phones all on the same Tanzanian network? SNIP

Hi, no as in my original mail: "She and her husband have mobile accounts there with Vodacom, Tigo and Airtel."

I appreciate other comments on WhatsApp (or WeCHat if you like the Chinese variation!) but I am just trying to crack why UK texts have SUDDENLY stopped being received on all three Tanzanian networks from the many different UK networks we have tried.....?

Vigman
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you notified all the UK networks that you tried to send from and asked them to check the fault? They could do a lot more investigating than you can.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport