Investing beginnings?

Options
How did you get started with investing?
I havent invested for a few years after i cashed a fund in to pay the mortgage off.
I think when they gave me all the baloney about the stock market during my endowment sales speech i kind of got interested.
Opened an investment trust monthly plan with f and c,one of the few that did monthly payments back then,had to get the info out of newspapers,magazines etc pre internet.
Wish id carried on paying into it.
I sometimes think theres way too much info on the internet and you can struggle to decide which way to go!

Comments

• webnibbler
    webnibbler Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Start by reading.

Lots of good learning material at Monevator and in Smarter Investing by Tim Hale.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maxie014 wrote: »

Opened an investment trust monthly plan with f and c,one of the few that did monthly payments back then,had to get the info out of newspapers,magazines etc pre internet.
    Wish id carried on paying into it.

Still not a bad choice of fund for dipping your toe back into the water. Solid without being exciting.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I started by 'investing' in matched betting. Its returns on capital invested is far more lucrative than property, shares or any govt topped up isa, and its tax free. If you can't turn £1000 in to £2000 in less than a month, you're doing it wrong. I blew most of gains over the last 10 years on cars, holidays and boys toys but if you can make your accounts last you'll make far more than having cash in a regular saver or isa. I'd argue its less risky than shares etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure