Housing Benefit Overpayment

Options
Hi

I am single and work part time - monthly payslips vary from 450 up to 1100 a month and I have had varying amounts of Housing benefit due to my low wage. Everytime I inform housing benefit of a change of circumstances e.g. more hours worked in a particular month, they suspend housing benefit until production of monthly payslips. This happened once again in February as my wages increased ( Jan and into Feb ).

Now HB have done their calculations and I have a very steep overpayment of around £480 and due to Feb payslip being up around £1040 I am no longer in receipt of housing benefit. Since Feb 14th I have paid my rent in full ( £100 approx ). Jan payslip was much lower at £780 which would have qualified me for around £25 HB.

It seems that HB in working out the overpayment have averaged Jan & Feb payslips to do their calculation and come up with a figure of around £5 a week award for the month of Jan. When it comes to Feb they have applied a Non Dependant charge of £100 a week for my adult daughter who moved out in early march ( her JSA claim terminated around Feb time so HB put her on the highest income band ).

I want to appeal the decision as Jan payslip is £780 and this has caused a much higher overpayment. I will soon be in possession of Mar payslip which decreases back to £780 so theoretically I should be entitled to £25 a week for the month just gone.

Using online benefit calculators it is frustrating that I am told that Universal credit comparison would give me approx £70 but of course it seems absolutely impossible to claim it online ??

How easy is it to challenge a decision where HB have averaged payslips to benefit themselves and generate a higher overpayment ?

Comments

• dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's worth a go.. You may succeed.
    When did you tell them that your daughters JSA had ended?
  • davefrombristol
    Options
    Middle of February I informed them that my hours had increased, at that point my daughters claim for JSA live and then her claim came to an end - She moved out to live with her boyfriend. I accept that my wage increase during Feb leaves me with no claim for HB. I have paid the rent in full since Feb 14th.

Where I feel aggrieved is that January I should have been receiving partial housing benefit amounting to about £100, but due to HB taking both Jan & Feb as an average they only gave me £5 a week as opposed to £25. My overpayent letters treat the two months seperately but are using calculations on one month to deny the other month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure