🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help tax credit nightmare

Options
i want to stop claiming wtc and ctx. The last time my partner moved in with me in dec 2011 I was told I now was overpaid as they took his whole earnings from the last financial year into consideration. (which Im still paying back) I asked should it not be pro rata as I have not benefited from his earnings before this time? But I was told no it goes from yearly earnings? I phoned my local cab and they told me that no one really understands the tax credit system!!

My now partner is moving in with me in Jun / July and I'm worried about overpayment again.

How do I stop claiming? We will be over the threshold anyway & I just want out of this sorry system

Thank you for any advice

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    You call them the day he moves in and end your claim.

His earnings don't affect any single claim you have, only if you make a joint claim.
  • Frasm
    Frasm Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Hi there

thank you for your reply. that's what I did with my last partner in Dec 2011. they then said I had been overpaid as his earnings were £40k for the year 11/12. but I said no I didn't get any of these earnings until dec?? they said it did not matter it goes on the tax year?? so I'm scared again of my partner moving in and them taking into account his earnings from jun'july to next april 2016?

sorry I know this is confusing , I'm just so worried as I am still paying back an overpayment of what they said was £11k!!
  • Frasm
    Options
    ahh sorry so you mean tell them hes moving in and end my claim there and then do not keep claim open and change to a joint claim this time? will they still not ask for his proof of earnings
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    If your partner moves in, you can't keep the single claim open. It needs to be ended.

They will only ask about him if you want to make a joint claim (which I have to assume you did last time).

If you don't want to make a joint claim then you simply call them when he moves in, end your single claim and leave it at that. There is no requirement for you to make a joint claim if you don't want to/are not entitled to.
  • Frasm
    Options
    Thank you so much. god its a minefield. No ill be ending my claim as we wont be entitled anymore.

Thanks again
  • weedave111
    weedave111 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How will you carry on paying the money back?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 1 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport