🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Short Period

Options
Transferred some money by Debit Card payment into National Savings, about a week ago.

The Premium Bond money went through in a couple of days, but the Income Bond transfer is showing as pending after about a week. Couldn't understand it, so I rang up to ask what was wrong.

The lady said from the 20th of each month, to the 5th of next month, is called a "short period". New money do not show up until the 6th of the second month, but interest is given from the date the money actually arrived. Only applies to Income Bonds. They use the time to "calculate interest"?

Sounds like some kind of pre-computer practice, with people working on accounts by hand.

I like it. I hope they keep my money in a castle with a moat, and feed the alligators with any hackers who tries to get to my money. Take a week to pay out, so any scam will be found out before any money is moved.

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »

I like it. I hope they keep my money in a castle with a moat, and feed the alligators with any hackers who tries to get to my money. Take a week to pay out, so any scam will be found out before any money is moved.

But what if they keep your money in a cardboard shoe box and the friction from the scratching of the quills on parchment sets fire to it:eek:
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That is an unfair reflection on NS&I, everyone knows they use cutting edge technology ... eventually :)
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ....and it's literally cutting edge technology they're using on the Premium Bond returns:
    scissors-clip-art-2592136.jpg
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think I'm alone in hankering for the slow mode.

Sunday Times 27th March 2016, Money Section, page 5.

Somebody shuns online banking, and writes cheques.

He still has banking, just not something a hacker can hack into on a computer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport