Reducing hours and permitted work for new ESA claim?

Options
I am currently off sick, on redundancy notice. I want to apply for ESA, but there may be a possibility of continuing at work with just a few hours a week. Is it possible to apply for ESA and permitted work at the same time, or would I need to remain off sick and either sever ties with my employer/take leave until ESA is awarded (hopefully - I know it's not always as straight forward as that)? I haven'tdiscussed this with my employer, as my priority is to get the benefits secure, but if I could keep hold of a few hours a week that would be the best option for me, I think.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gmboy wrote: »
    I am currently off sick, on redundancy notice. I want to apply for ESA, but there may be a possibility of continuing at work with just a few hours a week. Is it possible to apply for ESA and permitted work at the same time, or would I need to remain off sick and either sever ties with my employer/take leave until ESA is awarded (hopefully - I know it's not always as straight forward as that)? I haven'tdiscussed this with my employer, as my priority is to get the benefits secure, but if I could keep hold of a few hours a week that would be the best option for me, I think.

Are you receiving sick pay?
  • gmboy
    gmboy Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2016 at 8:47PM
    Options
    Yes, some SSP and some contractual. Someone in another forum (where I posted, as this was a bit slower going!) explained no eligibility for ESA with SSP, but on the reduced number of hours I wouldn't be eligible for SSP (going by the eligibility criteria on the gov website), so it would be purely contractual sick pay. It could be possible to take a but of unpaid leave to smooth the start of the ESA application.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Yes, some SSP and some contractual. Someone in another forum (where I posted, as this was a bit slower going!) explained no eligibility for ESA with SSP, but on the reduced number of hours I wouldn't be eligible for SSP (going by the eligibility criteria on the gov website), so it would be purely contractual sick pay. It could be possible to take a but of unpaid leave to smooth the start of the ESA application.

If you are no longer eligible for SSP then your employer should give you an SSP1 form to enable you to claim ESA. However if you don't have the contributions for SSP then you may not be able to get contribution ESA but only income based.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • gmboy
    edited 20 March 2016 at 9:06PM
    Options
    If you are no longer eligible for SSP then your employer should give you an SSP1 form to enable you to claim ESA. However if you don't have the contributions for SSP then you may not be able to get contribution ESA but only income based.

Thanks for the reply. Would it affect income based ESA if I also notified DWP of permitted work/supported permitted work so that contractual sick pay (below the specified threshold) wasn't deducted? Or would it be better to take unpaid leave?

Is SSP1 separate from the GP's medical certificate ("sick note")
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Would it affect income based ESA if I also notified DWP of permitted work/supported permitted work so that contractual sick pay (below the specified threshold) wasn't deducted? Or would it be better to take unpaid leave?

Is SSP1 separate from the GP's medical certificate ("sick note")

Yes the SSP1 is a form from the employer not the fit note from the Gp. I really have no knowledge about permitted work but think its only allowed when in a group rather than the initial assessment phase.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • gmboy
    Options
    Yes the SSP1 is a form from the employer not the fit note from the Gp. I really have no knowledge about permitted work but think its only allowed when in a group rather than the initial assessment phase.

Yes, that's a key detail - how soon one can do permitted work. That may be easier to find out than the other points that have been raised here and in the other forum...I have searched and found an old MSE thread whereby people Saud you can do supported permitted work during the assignment stage as well, but couldn't find a link or information in the disability rights handbook (?) that completely spelled it out - it seemed to be a logical deduction that one person wired from the handbook to say therefore permitted work is allowed during the assessment stage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure