how to invest

Options
i have a cash isa which is due to mature end of may of 20k also my wife has same which would be the best way to go another isa or transfer to savings account

Comments

• BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What do you mean by 'mature'? A cash ISA can be held indefinitely. How long do you want to tie up the money for? Can you leave it to grow, or might you need emergency access, if so, to all or some of the money?
  • phantom177
    phantom177 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if i leave it where it is i will get 0.1% so looking for bigger return dont need the cash so can tie it up for few years
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For the moment, in terms of interest, you would be very likely to do better by using high interest current accounts.

However, interest on cash ISA accounts may improve - you might also wish to bear in mind the transferable allowance on the death of a spouse.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    0.1% is atrocious. What do you mean by a few years? 2? 5? 10?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    phantom177 wrote: »
    if i leave it where it is i will get 0.1% so looking for bigger return dont need the cash so can tie it up for few years

So why not invest some of it as per your thread title and transfer to a S&S ISA? You can leave the remainder in cash but use current accounts to get up to 5%. There is no reason why all of the money would need to be in the same place and all in cash.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    Of course once you move any money outside of the ISA wrapper you lose the tax free status. This can have taken years to build, and would take years to rebuild. Just make sure this is in line with your investment/saving ambitions.

If you're looking at a 5+ year timescale move it all into a s&s ISA. Use an allworld ETF tracker and a gilt ETF tracker and just leave it. Reinvest the divis each year.

Cheers fj
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport