Expired Car Insurance Question

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
5 replies 860 views
garethmlgarethml Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi, first time poster, long time lurker.

In May 2014, I took out a car insurance policy, and (i believe) paid a one off premium at the time.
May 2015, i took our another policy for the same car with the same insurer, this time paying on direct debit.
Dec 2015, I changed my car, went to amend my policy online and i couldn't, and it was showing approx £600 debt. Rang them up, said you owe £600 and it must be paid before you can make any change to your policy.
Eventually after much arguing and them conceding they weren't even sure where the charge came from (the guy on the phone said we will waive the debt) and make the changes for you.

This morning, got a letter from the insurance company stating i need to pay them the £600 or they will "recover the outstanding balance".

After calling their collections department today, it turns out the amount is relating to my 2014 policy and that i "never made a payment at all for that policy". Although they also agreed, "there is no finance agreement in place for it".

What are my rights in this situation? Or if you need more information please ask.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Gareth

Replies

• elsienelsien Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You say you believe you made a one off payment at the time. Cash, credit card, debit card, cheque?
    Any sort of receipt attached to the schedule?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • edited 29 February 2016 at 5:09PM
    garethmlgarethml Forumite
    3 Posts
    edited 29 February 2016 at 5:09PM
    It would have been a debit card. Although have since changed current accounts, and the old account is closed (just logged on to check). So its not easily accessible. If this carries on, I will likely have to request some old statements from my bank to check. But i want to avoid this where possible, as I don't feel like paying out money just to prove this.

There is a niggle in the back of my head that they might never have taken the money for this tho. What would be my rights in that situation? I.e. its getting on for 2 years old - no finance agreement - i have no need of that particular contract now etc..

Cheers,
    Gareth

Edit: just to add - I dont have any docs relating to this, i shred everything after it expires and there are just historic policy docs in my online portal.
  • societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    its getting on for 2 years old
    That's well within the 6 years limit to chase up unpaid bills. You need to find some proof you paid in 2014 if you want to contest this.
  • Yeah, i just find it bizarre, there were no requests for payment/any notification at all about this until i tried to make a change to my car insurance over a year and a half later.

Guess its my fault for changing my car :P

Best get on to the bank for some statements then.

Thanks
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    garethml wrote: »
    .... i shred everything after it expires and there are just historic policy docs in my online portal.
    Third parties have 6 years to bring a damage claim against you, and a minor has until they reach 21 to bring an injury claim against you.

So file your insurance docs away - don't shred them on expiry day!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals