Thanks to those who participated in our 'Ask An Expert: Scams' event. Scam expert MSE Katie's video answers are available to watch on the board now.

Cruising To Financial Freedom

Excuse the yet another diary part, but I need something to help me focus.

DH and I purchased our home five and a half years ago with a mortgage of £160k but it was a wreck and although we did as much work as possible ourselves we probably spent around £80k on renovations like damp proofing, thermal boards and replastering throughout the house, new kitchen, bathroom, electrics, plumbing, boiler and the list goes on!

Currently we have managed to get down to £60k using endowments and a lot of hard work. We have approximately another £10k to pay off when we get out of paying fees in October and are desperately trying to get as much saved to pay off then.

DH is on board although not as much as I probably am but he tries hard. We both love to cruise and our holidays are probably my only financial vice.

I am hoping this thread will keep me on the straight and narrow and keep my focus on getting the mortgage cleared and also started to think about what We do after that.

The diaries on here have been so inspirational so I am hoping having my own will help me to resist temptation and keep focused :money:
Debt Free - done
Mortgage Free - done
Building up the pension pot

Replies

• ShineyhappyShineyhappy Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Quick recap for this week:
    Did two forest surveys
    Some swag bucking
    Consumer Pulse telecom survey and ordered two £10 vouchers to use as a gift- money still to be transferred
    Transferred £71 to OP savings made up of quidco click snap and £50 anniversary gift money ( we didn't know what to get each other) and £10 from a facebook sale
    Listed another two things on Facebook
    Made lunches for work every day
    Claimed back two work trips that I forgot about- will transfer next month when I get the funds
    DH replaced bulb in front headlight so will find out how much I should have paid and transfer it
    Spent £1 all weekend on a garlic baguette
    Made lunches ready for work next week
    Debt Free - done
    Mortgage Free - done
    Building up the pension pot
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals