Connecting Flights Or Not + Insurance

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
1 reply 888 views
uberjasonuberjason Forumite
14 Posts
Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I have scanned the previous posts of this and it has just got my more confused.

I booked flights for my girlfriend and I to fly from London Gatwick to Havana via Madrid in one booking on Gotogate co uk and have one booking reference.

The flight combination out there is BA from LGW to MAD then Iberia to Havana, the return flight is Iberia both journeys. The layovers are 3 and 4 hours respectively.

So basically I want to buy travel insurance asap but when looking things are getting expensive basically I want to protect myself for connecting flights (first time I have ever had connecting flight).

I am looking at coverforyou com for travel insurance as it actually covers connecting flights to £500 but it does come with a price. There is better value insurance if I don't need it.

If anyone could advise me regarding if these meet the technical definition of a connecting flight and whether I would actually need insurance for them / the insurance would actually provide meaningful cover that woulds be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• edited 28 February 2016 at 1:07AM
    kinger101kinger101 Forumite
    6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2016 at 1:07AM
    BA and Iberia are essentially the same airline. And in any event, this is a single booking. If you miss a connection, they'll re-route you on the next available flight. If this involves an overnight stay, they'll put you in a hotel at their expense. If it's a few hours delay, you'll get some meal vouchers. The is mandatory for EU airlines entering the EU, and all airlines on flights departing the EU (unless the delay is due to extreme weather or strikes). But most reputable airlines offer this as a courtesy anyway.

I can't see what the connecting flight insurance is going to offer you that the airline won't. It's only really of any use if you make two separate bookings, as then airline B isn't responsible for airline A's delay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs