Health Insurance for counselling vs paying cash.

edited 26 February 2016 at 6:14PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
9 replies 1.2K views
kiwidancerkiwidancer Forumite
3 Posts
edited 26 February 2016 at 6:14PM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I am in a depressive state and have been for around 18months. I finally decided I need to do something about it - I know I will need some grief counselling and probably some CBT too. I don't want to discuss this on this forum.

I am able to get health insurance that covers up to £210 per week of psychiatric treatment for ~£500 a year from Aviva with £0 excess.

For paying directly I am being quoted £65-125 a session (depending on the seniority of the practitioner) with an estimated 10-15 weekly sessions needed (so costing somewhere between £650 - £1875, but maybe more if more sessions are needed).

I've never had health insurance before, is there something I am missing here?
Is there usually a set time before I am able to claim on my policy?

I have a family history of poor health, so health insurance is something I would be interested in regardless, but I would like advice on the psychiatric treatment especially.

I am fortunate enough that I am able to cover the health insurance payments easily, but if costs were nearly the £1875 mark I may struggle - I am wary that putting myself in a stretched financial situation over this would be counterproductive by making me more stressed and anxious. I want to have as much counselling as I need, not what I can afford - Ideal-world-thinking, I know.

Any help and advise would be appreciated, but please go easy on me - I'm a newbie and feeling pretty sensitive and lost at the moment.

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think that as a pre-existing condition it would be excluded from any claims
  • I have not visited a GP about it, and I'm not certified as anything. So does it technically count as a pre-existing condition?
  • rs65rs65 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    kiwidancer wrote: »
    I have not visited a GP about it, and I'm not certified as anything. So does it technically count as a pre-existing condition?
    It's definitely pre-existing. You would have to lie about when it started so I guess your treatment will be based on false info which probably isn't the best way to go about it.

Will you not get NHS treatment?
  • Ah understood. No, I don't want to lie and have to worry about remembering stories when I'm meant to be honest with this person.

My local NHS services have a waiting list of 18 months. As above, I don't want to lie and say I'm more serious than I actually am just to jump the queue and push back people who need it and can't afford to go private.

Thanks for your advice.
  • rs65rs65 Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some employers these days have counselling/welfare programmes for staff. Anything like that for you?
  • CazzaswfcCazzaswfc Forumite
    125 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary
    Try health cash plans, most cover telephone counseling - might be a cheaper option.
    MFW 2017 No 41 £835.79/£1000
    Mortgage at December 2015. £55003.41
    Mortgage at December 2016. £51173.04
    Current MF date November 2034
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cazzaswfc wrote: »
    Try health cash plans, most cover telephone counseling - might be a cheaper option.

But would they cover a pre-existing condition? I have my doubts.
  • CazzaswfcCazzaswfc Forumite
    125 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary
    Would need to check the company and policy. Sometimes there would be a waiting period before you can claim ( can get offers for immediate benefit with some.

Health cash plans tend to allow claims for pre existing conditions for things like optical, dental, and telephone counselling ( will exclude things like physio, consultations, hospital stays etc)

It's worth researching a few cashpoint providers to see.

In addition, as someone states above see if your workplace provides an EAP
    MFW 2017 No 41 £835.79/£1000
    Mortgage at December 2015. £55003.41
    Mortgage at December 2016. £51173.04
    Current MF date November 2034
  • edited 29 February 2016 at 7:26PM
    SkintmamaSkintmama Forumite
    471 Posts
    edited 29 February 2016 at 7:26PM
    I cannot comment on the insurance aspects but just wanted to say that not all counselling is that expensive. There may well be some agencies or charities in your area which offer low cost counselling services. You could begin by contacting CRUSE, Samaritans or Relate as they may have information about these.

If you do decide on a private practitioner make sure that they are registered with a professional organisation such as the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists. Many qualified counsellors and student counsellors offer their time voluntarily to a variety of different organisations so it doesn't mean that the service that you would receive below that which you would pay a higher price for.

I hope that you are able to find the support that you need and wish you all the best for the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals