Find My House Claims History

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
1 reply 481 views
Richie_CRichie_C Forumite
76 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi all,

Is there a way I can found out if there has ever been an insurance claim on my house? More specifically a subsidence claim.

I only ask because the house we have been in for 2 years now has had subsidence in the past but its settled and its all good.

Now we have our insurance with AXA who say if the house hasn't had active subsidence in the last 10 years they can cover us. Now I know the previous owners had the house for 10 years and didn't make a claim. But I'm looking to switch to Legal and General but they ask that the house hasnt had active subsidence for 15 years and while I can account for 12 years (10 from the previous own and the 2 years I've owned the house), theres still 3 years of history I dont know about, while I am 99% sure the subsidence happened decades ago I dont really want to take the risk just in case the house did suffer from subsidence again and then it comes to light the last time it happened was 14 years ago as I would be screwed.

Is there is place I can ring or pay to look at my house and any previous claims its had?

Replies

• hucksterhuckster Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Insurance claims are registered on a central database (CUE) against peoples names and not against an address. So i don't think there is any way you can search for a claim against say 1 Acacia Avenue, Nottingham NG11.

When you buy a house you are normally given a load of paperwork from previous owners. If there had been a subsidence claim requiring any substantial works, i would expect there to be copies of paperwork from structural engineers and contractors who did the work. Also the surveyor who looked at the house when you bought it would have commented on any subsidence issues.

I suspect there is not much info available because the subsidence issue was nothing major e.g drainage problem, tree nearby and there was no underpinning work required.

You can only answer Insurers questions based on the information you are aware of and is easily available. To your knowledge, you are not aware of subsidence in the last 15 years. If you can answer than truthfully, then i can see no problem.

Houses do change hands and people do rely on being passed info. You are not expected to know the complete history, beyond what you are told.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides