Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

How many watches do you own? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

How many watches do you own?

edited 20 February 2016 at 3:48PM in The Money Savers Arms
40 replies 3.6K views

Replies

• onlyrozonlyroz Forumite
    17.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got one of these, which cost about £600 around 13 years ago. It's self-winding and so doesn't need a battery. I don't really like wearing watches though because I find them uncomfortable, and so it tends to stay on my desk.

583-7524-41-61s.jpg
  • edited 23 February 2016 at 2:02PM
    DreamnineDreamnine Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2016 at 2:02PM
    My 4 - the Casio with the written day is my latest and cheapest at under £30:

X4mZGXvcFT5iLb4_jQjcUQ0g28Lr0G6E84pHR_yhW5DUcNXdRbtMKFPBl5IFN9h2AiPZk1Ad5Bfa9A7MaXOqfMyTY4wKnBVA6AioI5NQs33SG26Vtqfm4YGNsY0lI_2Aupnk_fbpOuMv59pPvpS51IJpDKliIGHvFGTdGJRNr_pCi-Q4-37L7T0qTxzPKgPF_YFPQ3Rq14xMKjqrB8trIsT6Jzy6CMF5U-bGhIQMRt-2BqJ-Ft95029s8EiLQu-AtfM08hs3A9AIMEAvmn6RTI3lfoDq2F9Og0Zhagg95uby4Rxqo4AWQ4tzcXsZdfMPh1Pu5ARFR0tBRYLQrNptbsCnTaBhfvX2jBNfaiP6zt5EytGmbAB_w4o-cfVlQXVKJ-mK4LPUaennhPFU9XZNTN_VZmdDcX7gwWNZHdpWdkoer7hbWNPFCAtNzVvMHjiMPhHYjidIrtq70ccQOxHEjxnkBRRqgG7CcesgZshHIwk50BKfoLMLrJJ13ZP2AFoJWD1eGG4qlhSVF3ebv1hMuvM3Km-4ZDg68IaZST0maJFsPxxq5Sy4OqZqu_J7q1Lqa6se=w1437-h1077-no

ENZjG5PAQMwlyR9eHTGYB_9MgIJFXSd7VjLEqqAicKInFniQa_2VQHPuzjhpyWdY9-hQQV0YI1-qIhEETgfmh9G4O8oY8o3ZHe9f1OsK9ENOh1BQ8wlml8RtdttQDxnu61XkW7_AiAgCInvEA6-mUB3PLt5um5RA4BgTCkHl5Qjw3jn5WpdqcwkShJbAnttk_YsHTu_wX9zLN62qFQwClPrNAR8wop68KL0c3ESJNzHBrmHk1psbUhN4Sj0oPkCKadfeNj-PSR9PZyt6va9dibETLCO6tCoJKb7GX6yQZU1RdEsMJgKHns8xjj3pNkq_n7GdZd4Ui77RpaeFzUt-uwP3SEUfc_wKrd2tbap6uWoQ1Vig0G7vir-HGPwOWMIKI6rcn2AQTIMx-IaBApOFC2xEVbZW-h-i9mSonbfFtJqG2xcb_NVaoRPGG1ct2xIjhMXLo5yVgIt-Ls-6GC6g8RQIXYvh2VILQu499baAULpVvZqm8xi8Khs9ryNtbc4gRDwUkUyKzHnj1lwGKt9ps4RlZf3osgRDSGfB_TsshS29c14wsPANpzvNRmNLd0jJu0pz=w809-h1077-no

Q9nGOJvo0XY1b6kDvJybeVVI5K3KOj53IxPguC-G86eMZLqTSjia7fZVbnAAcrmik-8yryq3ZKhNXSsRvmS52uC8dtJAUZVlpnzVPy7aRb7IbMwaAO_4WTFtz6wk9ipX6YdEIpeBD5K5_I0nEKHqZKDWo8H1t0iFL66Xv5_GGbZwQ_RSyVwzznbRvunfckJm5zEuAAfsjWW-GyjM2IHm9sSjaKWuBz0Y4FfvkIi38a5dCbfKrY69R0aGRiekvPzSH9PRM9RpTwQAdpx2nXVOamC8eEmOhRKGc5yrufR4F9IBZpLBHtOZLwCi6a3ssE7sUrljsbEmJRl5TMHYelVr4WP101WZ_5MXVcDQ_XC2rdkAFNInHRNg0wGXvlrZ0EePTl5x3dGmpX8TFJ3VqWGBsXXyo5uMr9tg_nil46u5J4mNMfSogED_TDqFNsPFZhJY7FlVvRd1ey6NyOYDkKoyA1L_AhFGXml94s1l3L-FGD3AoOxKdLwy0-4HVw5gXYqD3Y3x8oCtVFpOskqdruGhtfvJKM-1Zo6o7aDTM0q-_KvAw2WgWE7W00GXzNvrz9wcUOUv=w1437-h1077-no

I like them all - always wanted at least 1 automatic. The Raymond Weil has a sapphire glass and caseback and keeps great time; the G-Shock is solar and receives the atomic time signal, has 5 alarms; the Maurice Lacroix is simple and elegant.

I bought the latest Casio from Argos because there are days when I just don't know what day it is, can't figure it out 'til I look at a phone or tablet. Plus, it's cheap enough to take a few knocks without my bothering much. It's only fault - apart from the large bezel - is that the date is hard to read.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • Joe_HornerJoe_Horner Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    At a rough guess (without counting), around 300. But I do sell them for a living in between repairing :D

Ones I actually wear, about 5 and, of those, ones I regularly wear: 1. A simple stainless cased analogue quartz from about 1978 which was my dad's and which keeps time within about 20 seconds a year (0.054 seconds per day). Gives me a known good reference for testing customers' ones against.
  • ess0twoess0two Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Citizen eco-drive, Longines admiral, Omega seamaster professional.

Looking to grow my collection as funds allow.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • Deep_In_DebtDeep_In_Debt Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I own two watches but only one works.

The one that works I've had for over 20 years and I wear it all the time - I feel lost without it.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • DreamnineDreamnine Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ess0two wrote: »
    Citizen eco-drive, Longines admiral, Omega seamaster professional.

Looking to grow my collection as funds allow.

All good brands - I've a particular fondness for both Longines and Omega.

If money was no issue I'd substitute one of those for the Raymond Weil.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • MothballsWalletMothballsWallet Forumite
    15.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got 3:
    1. An analogue wrist watch my parents bought as a present, which is part of a set that also had a ladies one for Mrs MbW, but we've hardly ever worn them.
    2. A pocket watch from Mrs MbW, but the crystal's damaged (it got dropped once), and I haven't found a local watch repairer who can repair it.
    3. A digital wrist watch (Casio Wave Ceptor if you're curious) I bought before Christmas with some bonus vouchers from work.
    Even though I've got a smart phone, I've started wearing a wristwatch every day again to save me getting the phone out of my pocket when I want to check the time.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
  • DreamnineDreamnine Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have:

A gold Rolex - my 'proper' watch that I wear to work.

A pretty blue ceramic Rado - my everyday watch.

A leather strap Seiko voyage of discovery - I just love it and lots of people comment on it.

A Timex - bought in a hurry during a week-long offsite where I forgot to bring a watch and I needed to watch the time crawl by.

A plastic solar powered Seiko Baby G Shock - chewed to bits by assorted baby wildlife.

My father's Ernest Borel watch - I was fascinated with its kaleidoscope movement as a child.

An Apple Watch - which my iPad is seemingly capitalizing as if it were something Really Important.

Nice collection - I had a brown ceramic Rado at one time but sold it when I needed money.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • DKLSDKLS Forumite
    13.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vintage Seiko owned by my grandfather
    Suunto Dive computer
    Too many G-Shocks to count.

I only ever use the Suunto, my phone has replaced watches.
  • SheelSheel Forumite
    45.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judi wrote: »
    None. I dont like things round my wrist. I'm not a great lover of jewellery come to think about it.

Ditto.

I haven't worn a watch for many years although I may have one or two somewhere. :undecided
    Proud wife and Mum to 3 NHS essential key workers.

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support