Getting ESA reinstated following failed Mandatory Reconsideration?

Options
Thanks to everyone for your help with my previous questions, here's another for you if you would be so kind ...

My son had his ESA stopped due to errors from his care home (as described in my last posts).

He did not attend the medical or submit the form saying why he hadn't attended. The Mandatory Reconsideration was unsuccessful.

Yesterday I sent off the appeal papers - hopefully they are good enough. I wrote a letter as well as completing the form, and submitted as much relevant supporting evidence as possible.

My question is - will his ESA now be reinstated (at the basic rate possibly)? Do I need to do anything to make this happen?

Comments

• my.new.elephant
    Options
    ESA will only be re-instated once appeal is lodged if you are appealing about being found fit for work.
    If the appeal is because your son did not attend the medical then they wont re-instate the ESA :(
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    ESA will only be re-instated once appeal is lodged if you are appealing about being found fit for work.
    If the appeal is because your son did not attend the medical then they wont re-instate the ESA :(

This is correct but to clarify the second point, it may be possible to arrange the assessment rather than waiting to go to appeal - this would get his payments reinstated until any appeal is heard. Contact the DWP about this, it would be at their discretion.
  • nightsong
    Options
    Thank you both.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills