Virgin Media Contract transfer, best option?

in Phones & TV
2 replies 764 views
SopeSope Forumite
49 Posts
Part of the Furniture
Forumite
My brother and his wife have just separated (she left), and amongst other things, the Virgin Media contract is soley in her name (DD set up from joint account). The contract was only renewed a month ago, but is now too expensive for my brother to afford to pay for alone. He spoke to VM who arranged to send out paperwork to transfer the existing contract into his name, however he was told that he would have to renegotiate the contract once the transfer was completed.

Is this the best way to deal with the problem, or would it be better to get his wife to cancel her contract and for him to then arange his own in order to take advantage of the (seemingly much better) new customer deals currently on offer?

Thanks for any input.

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If the name on the contract is the wife's then she has to pay the remaining months of the contract if cancelling .
    That is the big stumbling block .
  • SopeSope Forumite
    49 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    If the name on the contract is the wife's then she has to pay the remaining months of the contract if cancelling .
    That is the big stumbling block .

I've just found the information detailing the VM early disconnection fees here.

So that's going to be expensive given the contract has 11 months left to run....
    .....to be precise we're talking (£6.80 + £20.90 + £22.90) x 11 = £556.60 in this case!!!

Looks like the name change is the only sensible option.

Thanks for the reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals