New BT line, then changing provider - possible?

in Phones & TV
4 replies 853 views
Hi,
Looking @ getting a new BT phone line installed into our flat (only have virgin media cable @ present).
Does anyone know - If we have a new line installed - are we then locked into only using / paying for BT's line rental for 12 months before being able to swap to a different service provider - like tiscali etc - or is it a case of having to use BT services for like a few months before you can change provider?

All the adsl broadband packages / deals require a BT phone line, so am trying to get a straight answer, which is really hard work frankly! I'd like to utilise one of the deals that incorporates the free line rental on offer - but need to know how long I'd be locked into paying for the BT line rental.......they seem to change their minds randomly depending on who you speak to :(

Replies

• There is a minimum term of twelve months with BT.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dmg24 wrote: »
    There is a minimum term of twelve months with BT.
    In any case, why move your line rental? Doing so restricts your ability to route your calls more cheaply.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    BT will probaly want £124.99p connection,plus their charge you £70 to break contract early.

To get the so called Free Line Rental etc from Tiscali ,some would say Inclusive Line Rental, you would have to pay another £30 connection ,and sign a 12 month contract.

Then if you wanted to move back to BT at any time its likely that BT will raise a full connection charge.
  • Why do you want a BT line if you have Virgin cable?

If you just need a second phone line have you looked at getting a VOIP device and using the broadand for phone.

No line rental involved.

But if you mean you want to switch away from Virgin and to BT then yes there is a minimum contract period of 1 years rental or £70 fine Max.

Why not look at Heinz advice for a BT line:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=1598074
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS