Holiday Cancellation - Zika

Hi, I have a holiday booked to USA and I will be pregnant during that period.

With the news now that Zika virus is likely to spread across North America, I don't want to risk travelling to the region during pregnancy.

I have yet to pay more than my deposit for the holiday, and the terms of booking are that I will lose that deposit on cancellation.

The question is, will this outbreak help with being able to claim the deposit back on cancellation?

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you taken out insurance?

Even if so, I doubt it. Possibly if the UK government advises against travel to the USA.
  • richardw wrote: »
    Btw

Interestingly, it is Thomson who I am booked through, and although this story is 2 years old, the booking terms are still on that sliding scale!

However, what you are saying is that I can try to claim that as my holiday is still 3 months away, they are not going to incur a loss equal to my deposit as it is extremely unlikely that it will not be rebooked in that time?

Thanks
  • dzug1 wrote: »
    Have you taken out insurance?

Even if so, I doubt it. Possibly if the UK government advises against travel to the USA.

No, haven't taken out insurance yet. Fortunately I haven't paid more than the deposit yet, so I won't have to worry about the timescale for the excess to be refunded at least.

I will try with the advice given above, but if Thomson are still using the same booking conditions 2 years after that case, I imagine they are still sticking to their guns, and might be more than it's worth to try and get the deposit back!
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 850
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Seti wrote: »
    Interestingly, it is Thomson who I am booked through, and although this story is 2 years old, the booking terms are still on that sliding scale!

However, what you are saying is that I can try to claim that as my holiday is still 3 months away, they are not going to incur a loss equal to my deposit as it is extremely unlikely that it will not be rebooked in that time?

Thanks

You'd likely have to go to court. I think the judgement in that case stated that it was not setting a precedent, and in any event Tui appealed (though don't know if it is resolved).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure