Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Is it time to drop the landline

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
6 replies 1.2K views
ZacharyBZacharyB Forumite
10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi, currently I pay £55 a month to BT (I know that this is far too much), £30 is for unlimited broadband, then there's line rental, £18 or something, as well as anytime calls package, another £7. Different people in the family have different mobile deals, I have a pay as you go sim from three. Anyway, initially when I bought the phone you got a month of unlimited data, which I made full use of (by the end of the month I'd used 85GB of data). Weirdly using my phone as a hotspot, I found the download speeds were faster than through landline broadband. Three detected that I was using my phone as a hotspot, which they were not happy about because you have to pay more for that, although it's easy to get around this (the browser on your phone and computer send a piece of information with every request which describes the device, if you edit this on the computer to match the phone, three can't tell the difference).

As we rarely use the landline for calls, I'm quite tempted to buy a cheap phone which supports tethering, get a sim only contract for that phone which has unlimited uncapped data (the three one for £18 a month looks tempting), and then leave that in the house for us to use for WiFi/calls. I'd love to know if anyone has done something like this, I'm tempted to try, it seems like an easy way to save £37 a month - the only thing I'm worried about is whether the phone would be up to providing internet to up to 7 devices at once.

Replies

• AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can get sim to wifi devices designed for the job.

Search for MiFi
    Or osprey.

Pondering it myself.

However you don't need anytime calls.

Move to sky or EE. Etc to save
  • HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZacharyB wrote: »
    Hi, currently I pay £55 a month to BT (I know that this is far too much), £30 is for unlimited broadband, then there's line rental, £18 or something, as well as anytime calls package, another £7. Different people in the family have different mobile deals, I have a pay as you go sim from three. Anyway, initially when I bought the phone you got a month of unlimited data, which I made full use of (by the end of the month I'd used 85GB of data). Weirdly using my phone as a hotspot, I found the download speeds were faster than through landline broadband. Three detected that I was using my phone as a hotspot, which they were not happy about because you have to pay more for that, although it's easy to get around this (the browser on your phone and computer send a piece of information with every request which describes the device, if you edit this on the computer to match the phone, three can't tell the difference).

As we rarely use the landline for calls, I'm quite tempted to buy a cheap phone which supports tethering, get a sim only contract for that phone which has unlimited uncapped data (the three one for £18 a month looks tempting), and then leave that in the house for us to use for WiFi/calls. I'd love to know if anyone has done something like this, I'm tempted to try, it seems like an easy way to save £37 a month - the only thing I'm worried about is whether the phone would be up to providing internet to up to 7 devices at once.
    Well yes I have done it...but only as an emergency backup.

I have a landline. I pay TalkTalk almost nothing for it.

I get line rental and unlimited broadband. I also get a mobile SIM with 1,000 mins, unlimited texts and 3GB of data for £1.75/month, a mobile SIM with 100 minutes, 250 texts and 200MB of data for free and another Value SIM with 100 mins, 250 texts and 200MB of data for free. All contracts are capped and can be cancelled with 30 days notice. All three phones can call each other for free at any time.

The broadband is free. The landline rental would today cost £191.16 a year and I got £115.50 cash back. Line rental after the 12 months is £17.70 for the remaining 6 months of the contract with an average net monthly cost of £10.10 per month.

I do use the tethering feature on the mobile phone but it has a delay/latency which is too long so therefore the need for landline broadband. I also use some 60GB of data on the landline broadband each month and no mobile contract is £10 a month or less for so much data.

TalkTalk isn't the best company but it is very cheap. Even if you as the main user don't get on with it then others in the house can use it whilst you tether your laptop to the mobile.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Ian011Ian011 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now that landline providers have started to offer inclusive calls to mobile numbers (in addition to existing calls to landline and 03 numbers) now is the time to think about reducing your monthly spend on your mobile such that it covers only the calls that you make while you are away from home.

Many people currently spend a huge amount of money using their mobile phone to make calls while at home. In many cases, those calls can now be made for less by using your landline.
  • HappyMJ wrote: »
    Well yes I have done it...but only as an emergency backup.

I have a landline. I pay TalkTalk almost nothing for it.

I get line rental and unlimited broadband. I also get a mobile SIM with 1,000 mins, unlimited texts and 3GB of data for £1.75/month, a mobile SIM with 100 minutes, 250 texts and 200MB of data for free and another Value SIM with 100 mins, 250 texts and 200MB of data for free. All contracts are capped and can be cancelled with 30 days notice. All three phones can call each other for free at any time.

The broadband is free. The landline rental would today cost £191.16 a year and I got £115.50 cash back. Line rental after the 12 months is £17.70 for the remaining 6 months of the contract with an average net monthly cost of £10.10 per month.

I do use the tethering feature on the mobile phone but it has a delay/latency which is too long so therefore the need for landline broadband. I also use some 60GB of data on the landline broadband each month and no mobile contract is £10 a month or less for so much data.

TalkTalk isn't the best company but it is very cheap. Even if you as the main user don't get on with it then others in the house can use it whilst you tether your laptop to the mobile.
    Wow that deal you have sounds almost too good to be true, I think I'll have to look further into how much of a difference having a landline will make - its certainly going to give a more stable and reliable internet connection, and if it can be that cheap then using mobile broadband would be utterly pointless. Thanks for the insight.
  • AndyPK wrote: »
    You can get sim to wifi devices designed for the job.

Search for MiFi
    Or osprey.

Pondering it myself.

However you don't need anytime calls.

Move to sky or EE. Etc to save
    Yeah, the anytime calls thing is pretty pointless given over the last few months we've averaged about 10 calls per month - switching to someone else is a great idea, I'm just aware that I'll still have to pay at least £15 a month on line rental - feels like wasted money when the line you are renting seems to give slow internet speeds.
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most shocking thing for me is that you pay £30 for unlimited broadband.

A lot of ppl pay around £10.

And an awful lot of deals of free for 12 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals