Late payments on credit file

Sorry have posted about this before but.... I have 2 late payments on my credit file from 4 years ago (British Gas). I have been in constant communcation with them trying to find out what happened (as I don't remember ever paying late). They finally sent me copies of bills. One was in August 2011 and then another one issued in December 2011 (with a different amount). The 2nd bill is the one which I paid in January 2012 but this did not have 'FINAL REMINDER' or 'LATE PAYMENT' or anything like that on it.

So, if I had paid 3 months late, why was no reminder or final demand sent? Why was a second bill issued 4 months later? They are still 'looking into this' but feel I am going round in circles with them.

Is it worth me going to the ombudsman? This is affecting my chances of a decent mortgage.

Replies

• Might as well go straight to the ombudsman to safe time tbh. BG is probably one of the companies most difficult to deal with when the problems don't concern them.
  • It does seem like a default is "fair" as you paid after five months.

I don't agree with utility companies reporting to CRA's but that's an argument for a different day.
  • Hutch100ukHutch100uk Forumite
    602 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    boo_star wrote: »
    It does seem like a default is "fair" as you paid after five months.

I don't agree with utility companies reporting to CRA's but that's an argument for a different day.

Well I'm not convinced, it looks more to me like the original bill was disputed and they then re-issued a new one in December. Strange why they are for different amounts and no reminders sent.

I will persevere with the Ombudsman
  • Hutch100ukHutch100uk Forumite
    602 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SUCCESS!!! British Gas called me yesterday. After weeks of investigations, apparently my original bill issued in the September was reversed and re-issued in the December. So, they have removed the late payment markers.

So, anyone with a similar problem - don't give up!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals