Forum Home» Phones & TV

Business Broadband/Line & Voip confusion!

New Post Advanced Search

Business Broadband/Line & Voip confusion!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
1 reply 521 views
SquibbleSquibble Forumite
17 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi,

I am hoping someone may be able to direct me as I have confused myself perhaps having a bottle of wine doesn't help matters!

I am a small business, currently with BT. The set up I have a landline, broadband and fax line via the broadband (voip line). I am more than likely paying over the odds for this.I am paying almost £42 for broadband alone. £38 for the phone line and £12 for the fax line. This is all per month!!!

I was looking at this VOIP for the phone and fax but I just don't fully understand how this all works! is this really cost effective and good? I know i will still need the phone line and broadband but I am thinking of changing providers so its cheaper.

is there anyone that can offer some advice and assistance or direct me to what or who i should contact!

Many thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    VOIP is the same technology as SkyPE.

VOIP for fax basically boils down to SkyPE with Fax, if you like using what's called the T38 protocol. In a nutshell you send a fax, it converts it to an image, sends it to another T38 capable device that recoverts it back into a format the destination fax machine can print out.

Depending on how many faxes you send/receive will determine whether it's worth shelling out for. Moving the phone line and broadband will almost certainly be cheaper that staying with BT.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support