Denture Options...

Options
Hi All,

I have recently lost my denture (partial / front tooth) and will require a new one, I was just wondering if anyone could help with my options.

I will be going to my dentist when they reopen on Wednesday but it may be a while (hopefully not too long) before I can get an appointment with them.
As my denture was a perfect fit, could they still have a copy of the original mould and use this to speed up the process?

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to do direct to a Dental Technician and get them to create me a new one and hopefully decrease the waiting time?

Or would it even be possible to go to a specific denture clinic for this one off denture?

Also my denture is on the NHS so does anyone have an idea of private cost for a basic immediate denture?

Any help & advice appreciated.

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Storage space is it at a premium in a surgery so the models will not have been kept. It will need to be a fresh start. Also most labs will not open until 4th Jan so although the surgery will be open the laboratory probably won't.

You can go direct to a clinical dental technician (it is illegal for an ordinary technician to make dentures direct). But they do not have NHS contracts so charges will be private. They can only make full dentures without a referral from a dentist. As yours is a part denture you would need a referral letter from a dentist.

A small plastic denture will start around £250 to £450 depending on area etc and will go up from there (eg chrome denture, flexi denture, type of teeth etc ) You will pay extra to have the work done quickly.
  • Evolution86
    Options
    Thank you for the quick response. :)

I know of a local DT that is open over the Xmas break so that could be worth a try.

Do you know if I could just ask at my dentist for a referral tomorrow or is it likely I'll still need an appointment? Would they be likely to refer me at my request?
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    It cannot be a regular dental technician. It is illegal for them to take impressions or any of the clinical stages of a denture. It must be a clinical dental technician (cdt) and there are only a very small number of them in the uk. http://dentureprofessionals.org.uk

You have to have a clinical check up before you can be referred to a clinical dental technician to make sure your remaining teeth are healthy. Your dentist has to refer you if you wish. You will pay for the check up.
  • Evolution86
    Options
    There is a CDT within a mile that runs a private clinic. Looks like I'll just see what my current dentist can suggest tomorrow.

Thanks once again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport