BT broadband without BT line rental

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
5 replies 1.5K views
davepdavep Forumite
67 posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi all,

We currently have our broadband and line rental with BT and are very happy with the service. We pay the line rental yearly in advance and its coming up for renewal but the price has jumped from £169 to £194 this year so we have had a look around and found we can get a years line rental + W/E calls for £144 from the Post Office. We are keen to do this as its £50 cheaper than BT, however does anyone know if its possible to keep our broadband with BT but just move our line rental to another provider? I have checked on the BT site but its not clear on this point so wondered if anyone has experience of doing this.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bring on the Bling!

Replies

• edited 27 December 2015 at 3:36PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 December 2015 at 3:36PM
    PO is £16/month so presume they do a line rental saver to get it down to £144 from £192 or have offered you a deal..?
    I think the Post Office are now a re- seller of Talk Talk's service and that would probably mean that your line would become a LLU/MPF on Talk Talk's network meaning that you couldn't keep BT broadband, so you would need to take that into account if you are within a minimum term on your broadband, early termination fees etc, or if you want to keep your BT e mail addresses for 'free'
    You could always try BT Retentions to see if they can offer you a better deal, or take PO broadband with the PO home phone
  • edited 28 December 2015 at 5:34AM
    oldharryrocksoldharryrocks Forumite
    533 posts
    edited 28 December 2015 at 5:34AM
    Post Office Homephone is Talk Talk rebranded, but they do have seperate customer service centres. BT broadband will not work with it. In any case you cant normally get BT Broadband unless you have a BT line.
  • Post Office Homephone is Talk Talk rebranded, but they do have seperate customer service centres. BT broadband will not work with it. In any case you cant normally get BT Broadband unless you have a BT line.
    It's possible with other providers - however everything is bundled these days and you'd be daft to source from different suppliers.

I changed from BT recently (bb + phone) and the new provider didn't swap the broadband until about a week after they swapped the line. BT put me on a non-bundled broadband product for that week - went from £34 a month for broadband and calls to £39.99 a month just for the broadband...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Some providers, notably Virgin, do allow Broadband as a standalone product. However, the cost of it is similar to a bundle of telephone and internet together!

The OP could certainly swap providers for both services in search of a cheaper deal, but I'm not sure the Post Office is a provider I would be recommending. It's pertinent to note that any deal would be provided only for a limited time as a new customer…

As someone else has said, the OP should see if BT will offer a retention deal.
  • davepdavep Forumite
    67 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks to all for your replies.
    I have spoken with BT and I can move to a different provider for my line rental and still keep broadband with them, BUT this will change the cost of my BB as I would be moved to their solus package as I am no longer taking the line rental and this is part of the bundled deal I am signed up to.
    I asked if they could do anything on the line rental cost but they would not budge, they did however try to sell me Infinity which has just come to our village for a cost higher than the new customer deal I can see on their website, I politely declined :D

Thanks again for all your replies and wishing everyone on MSE a happy and prosperous new year.
    Bring on the Bling!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support