Clarey008's Seven Year Plan

Hi Everyone

I have decided to start a diary to focus my mind and stop frittering away any spare cash.

My mortgage currently has 15 years left and is standing at £21545. I am hoping I can reduce the term to between seven and ten years. Recently I have set up a £50 OP per month. I live with my teenage son and need to balance overpaying with saving a bit of spare cash for his driving lessons and university etc. Either way I need to be frugal and I think the areas I can save are our food bill and random cosmetics and clothes purchases!
Mortgage Dec 2015 - £21545 Apr 2016 - £19930
Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 £79.98/£150

Replies

• Ali-OKAli-OK Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi Clarey,

Welcome aboard and you're in good company - am a single parent too with a teenage DS and having the same juggling with OPing and saving for the same things as you. :)

Good luck with your journey and am subscribing to follow :)
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • A_Frayed_KnotA_Frayed_Knot Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Welcome and Good Luck with your plan. You have a great mortgage balance and would imagine you could reduce the term when you are ready to remortgage.

Just last Sept I had 14/15 years left on my mortgage, so when I re-mortgaged with a much better interest rate, what I was saving on interest plus upping payments meant I could reduce term from 14/15 years to 8 years.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • I used to spend so much on clothes - its surprising that if you decide not to purchase anything new for, lets say, 6 months - its not a difficult challenge at all and in fact you end up discovering things you already have and making full use of them.

I once went a full year and purchased nothing new and it was a walk in the park (and I looked well presented too).

Good luck !
    Mortgage Start - August 2013 £145,000 ************ Balance at April 2017 - £59,000

Target - Overpay by £2,500 each month ************** Mortgage free by December 2018!
  • Clarey008Clarey008 Forumite
    158 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi Ali-Ok

Thanks for subscribing, do you have a diary? Over the years I have paid off quite a lot. However I do feel I have lost focus over the last few months and treated myself quite a bit. Hopefully now I am stocked up with Christmas gifts and vouchers I can avoid the shops as much as possible. I thought I would start my diary on a NSD.
    158 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks Fresh Cotton and A Frayed Knot, I have just signed up to another two year fix. I do think with such a low balance I should be able to get rid of it quickly, on the other hand my salary isn't huge and I don't have that much over each month. My wardrobe is quite full and I think I could make use of accessories (of which I have quite a lot already to make my outfits look different).
  • Ali-OKAli-OK Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    On the DFW board, there's a Crazy Clothes Challenge that runs annually that you'd be welcome to join. Think I managed £62 spend in the whole year for both DS and I ! I did exclude school shoes and bought DS clothes using Nectar points that year :)

I've got a diary (don't know how to do links though :o) and aiming for somewhere between a 2023-2025 finish too, which is 2-4 years earlier than the original end date.

It's all relative with salary vs mortgage size and OPs, what we've all got in common is shaving off outgoings to get a step closer to being mortgage free :)
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
    158 Posts
    Forumite
    Sounds a good idea, I will check out the Crazy Clothes Challenge.
    I have decided on two New Years resolutions, one to OP on the mortgage and keep up the diary and the other to keep the house tidy and clutter free, well I guess maybe that's three but the first two are kind of tied in together. The last one is also nicely tied in with not buying so much stuff!
    I met a friend for a walk today (we are training for a sponsored walk) she had initially mentioned getting brunch but then seemed to have forgotten, so £10 saved. Put together my son's bike he got for Christmas only for the chain to fall off and get jammed when he first rode it (not my fault as I hadn't touched the mechanism). That resulted in a trip to Half0rds who fixed it for £4 which I thought was a bargain and we spent £7 on a pump.
    On Tuesday I will use some of my Christmas money to OP, I am hoping I can sneak it in before my 2 yr fix starts on Jan 1st and I can only OP 10% per year. I say only, I would struggle to OP 10% but one can dream.
  • LuckyinlifeLuckyinlife Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Forumite
    Good luck on your journey clarey sounds like a great target :]

still enjoy the nice things in life if you can tho :]

It defiantly is a case of everyone is so different with salerys amount owed

Just do the best you can
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • Watty1Watty1 Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    the idea of a Crazy Clothes Challenge is somewhat scary to me. I vowed no spending on clothes till the mortgage was cleared but still did anyway (sigh).
    One thing that really helped me was a major clothes declutter though. I revamped a lot of stuff by removing sleeves, shortening dresses and liberal use of dye and my wardrobe suddenly seemed very full of new look stuff

I might see you on Crazy Clothes Challenge. I feel I should at least look......
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
    158 Posts
    Forumite
    Lucky in Life I agree and sometimes it is hard to get the balance between being frugal and enjoying life. I took my nieces out for the day, Ice Skating in the morning, Pizza restaurant for lunch and free play park in the afternoon. I don't see them often as they live abroad, so I didn't mind having quite a spendy day with them. For me, part of the journey is to make sure I enjoy life and have nice experiences and not waste money on "stuff". Have to admit being a little sore after a few crashes on the ice.

Watty1 I am going to do the crazy clothes challenge, I agree - scary. I am just deciding on the budget to set myself, probably £150. I do like seeing other peoples signatures with their challenges, so I am hoping a few on my signature will motivate me.

I have managed not to go food shopping yet since Christmas, I am going to use some left over ham and mix with couscous, peas and mushrooms for dinner. I also melted down some mini marshmallows which were leftover and would have gone all hard, to make rice krispie squares.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock