Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Sky Box

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
11 replies 1.4K views
mimi1234mimi1234 Forumite
7.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi all,

Quick question.

We had our TV with Sky about 2 years ago but then our contract ended and we didn't renew with them. The Sky box worked fine and there were a few channels that carried on working even when the contract ran out. I think there were a few foreign ones where they had a lot of cooking shows with English subtitles which my Mom absolutely loved.

About 2 months ago, the colour went. We can still watch those channels but they are all in black in white.

Does anyone know why this might have happened and is there any way of overcoming this or would we need to get a new contract with Sky TV? I've had a quick Google and it appears this has happened to other people too but all this talk of wires and cables and things is making me so confused.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

MERRY XMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS.
«1

Replies

  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are all the channels in black and white ?? If so, could be an issue with the box or the HDMI cable -if you use the Sky help pages they will lead you through doing resets etc.on the box and a straight swap with another HDMI lead will eliminate that as a cause . Could also possibly be an issue with the dish/lnb but you would need a fitter to check that so leave it til last.

    Use to happen occasionally on the old boxes with defective SCART leads or the wrong output settings.
  • mimi1234mimi1234 Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Are all the channels in black and white ?? If so, could be an issue with the box or the HDMI cable -if you use the Sky help pages they will lead you through doing resets etc.on the box and a straight swap with another HDMI lead will eliminate that as a cause . Could also possibly be an issue with the dish/lnb but you would need a fitter to check that so leave it til last.

    Use to happen occasionally on the old boxes with defective SCART leads or the wrong output settings.

    Thanks for your help.

    All the Freeview and normal channels are all in colour, it's just the Sky ones that used to work in colour but are now all in black and white.

    About 2 months ago, my brother did put a Google Chromecast into one of the ports and that seems to have done something to the colour on the Sky channels. All the normal wires were put back where they were but the Sky channels are no longer in colour.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    When you say "Sky channels" ,which ones do you mean ?? If you aren't paying a sub then all you should receive are the channels listed here.
    http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels
    Or if you still have a valid Sky card in the box (without sub.) then it is a very slightly different list.
  • mimi1234mimi1234 Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    brewerdave wrote: »
    When you say "Sky channels" ,which ones do you mean ?? If you aren't paying a sub then all you should receive are the channels listed here.
    http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels
    Or if you still have a valid Sky card in the box (without sub.) then it is a very slightly different list.


    Hi Mr B,

    Yeah, we have a sky card which I think is still valid. The channels were like some European / Asian / Middle Eastern ones where they have a lot of cooking shows. They still work, just not in colour.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried to set up my Wii on our new tv, but found the Wii picture came up in black and white.


    It was a simple matter to resolve as the tv has a video /component choice on the AV2 channel and 'video' needed to be selected; 'component 'giving the black and white pictures.
  • headpinheadpin Forumite
    775 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not clear how your are picking up foreign channels on a Sky Box? The only foreign channels you can normally receive on a Sky Bix are those you pay a subscription to receive. How are you receiving these channels? Are they via Astra?

    If you have them in b/w then you either have a poor signal or a poor connection. I would say more likely the connection if they were previously OK, burp then if the other channels are ok then it suggests otherwise.

    But, I still do not understand how you are receiving these channels via a Sky Box!
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has the aerial wandered off target?
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has the aerial wandered off target?
    We're talking about the Sky box, which is connected to a satellite dish. OP has confirmed that Freeview (thru aerial) is fine.
    How is the Sky box connected to the TV? I guess SCART. Unplug whatever cable is between Sky box and TV, and plug it in again. This is probably where the fault lies. And if you're using anything other than HDMI, see if you can switch to HDMI.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    almillar wrote: »
    We're talking about the Sky box, which is connected to a satellite dish. OP has confirmed that Freeview (thru aerial) is fine.
    How is the Sky box connected to the TV? I guess SCART. Unplug whatever cable is between Sky box and TV, and plug it in again. This is probably where the fault lies. And if you're using anything other than HDMI, see if you can switch to HDMI.
    Has the [STRIKE]aerial[/STRIKE] dish wandered off target?
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almillar is spot on. Channels received via the internal Freeview tuner are OK. Therefore the fault must be in the SCART or HDMI cable between the Sky box and the TV. So check connections and swap out the cable, and try another socket if available. My bet is a duff SCART lead or socket.
    OP, even without a Sky contract you will still receive all the free to air channels, and in colour. However you will not have any PVR functionality (Sky+), though this doesn't seen to be a factor that concerns you.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.