Download festival 2016 - with a walking stick

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has been to Download before? We were thing of going next year, but as I use a walking stick I am worried about how much of the main set I will be able to see if we are stood / sat to one side.

Also, how 'rough' is it going to be underfoot?

We want to see one of the headline bands, but as Dowload tickets are expensive we may decide to travel over to Germany, Holland or Sweden instead to see the band if Download might not be suitable.

Thank for any help,
spider.

Comments

• I've been to Download a few times over the years. As far as being able to see, the stage action is broadcast onto massive screens on either side of the stage so you will certainly be able to see those. If the main stage is in the same place as last time I was there (can't see why it wouldn't be) then there is a rise in front of it, sort of like naturally occurring theatre seating, so you can actually get a decent view from a ways back.

The second stage wasn't quite the same but we watched Alice Cooper from the side and didn't feel we didn't have a good view.

Unless you're deaf (apologies if you are) you will most certainly hear what's going on! It's not a quiet festival :D

You mentioned you use a stick, but not the severity of the need for it. It can be quite a hike from the camp sites to the main arena (if you're camping) so you may want to check out whether you qualify for the disabled camping area (much closer). There is also a disabled viewing area which is raised and looked like it would provide a good view. I believe the disabled person's carer is allowed up there with him/her.

The main arena, market place and campsites are all untreated surfaces - basically mud, grass and gravel. If it's hot and hasn't rained this isn't too bad to walk on, although the "roads" between campsites tend to get a little rutted from the security/stewards vehicles. If it's wet then the whole place can very quickly turn into a quagmire. It poured down last time I was there and hubby and I struggled to get around without mobility issues. They might have done something with the surfaces since then as there was huge backlash because so many people lost all their stuff to mud and flooding and had to leave (we upped sticks to a local hotel) but I'm not sure. If you're concerned I would contact the organisers befor buying tickets.

I'm guessing that from the countries you've mentioned the band you want to see might be a certain German industrial metal group whose name is shared with an air force base? If so, and you haven't seen them before, then trust me - you'll enjoy it. I've seen them twice and they do THE BEST stage show! Whether Download ends up being suitable or not you might want to bear in mind that the more extravagant stage acts tend to be toned down a little at festivals as it's loads of bands sharing each stage. The logistics must be a nightmare! For that reason you might still want to consider seeing them at their own concert to get the full on experience. The same goes for any group that has a very "theatrical" (or pyro-heavy) show.

PS if you end up going, even if you're not particularly into Black Sabbath go see them anyway. We saw them last time they headlined and honestly they were fantastic. Watching Ozzy buzzing around the stage like a little imp was hilarious!
  • Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to answer so comprehensively.

I am worried about the standing up too long and also about the mud, which would make it very difficult / almost impossible for me to get around. Whilst I would probably be allowed on the disabled platform my husand would not (unless there was free space) as he is not my carer so we don't really want to see the concert sat apart. I have been phoning the disabled access team, but no luck getting through so far.

You guessed the band correctly - they always seem to play somewhere we cannot get too for one reason, or other.

However, after your suggestion we have decided to wait to see them somewhere else and not at Download as it is going to be easier for me and it sounds as thought it would be a better show anyway.

Thanks again for the help.

Spider.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Just an additional note - any act where the staging is a large part of the show (Pink Floyd, for instance), then a festival set will only ever be a shadow of the touring set. Touring custom staging, pyro, effects and gimmicks is very expensive. Some custom stages can take dozens of trucks and several days just for the build, some artists tour three sets of everything so one can build, one play and the other break down at the same time, leapfrogging one another! You simply cannot reproduce that experience with an overnight rig on a shared stage. Yes, it's possible to get A great show, not THE great show, though.

And even the most demure festivals can get very muddy very quickly!
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Just an additional note - any act where the staging is a large part of the show (Pink Floyd, for instance), then a festival set will only ever be a shadow of the touring set. Touring custom staging, pyro, effects and gimmicks is very expensive. Some custom stages can take dozens of trucks and several days just for the build, some artists tour three sets of everything so one can build, one play and the other break down at the same time, leapfrogging one another! You simply cannot reproduce that experience with an overnight rig on a shared stage. Yes, it's possible to get A great show, not THE great show, though.

And even the most demure festivals can get very muddy very quickly!

Well they done very well at Download a few years back, so many pyros, fireworks, fire.etc You couldn't have what they did in an indoor venue!!

On the disabled bay it doesn't matter if they are you 'carer' but I'm pretty certain you can have company up there! I would keep trying to get disabled access as the walk to the campsite is a nightmare from everywhere, from the car park, from the village and campsite.

You can take fold up chairs into the camping area, I see loads of people who just sit and watch the bands from a way back, so don't worry about not being to stand up for ages. I always have a nice sit on the grass if it's not too muddy!

Also if you go Download - earplugs are a necessity, it's right next to East Midlands airport, so at night you'll need ear plugs!
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    you say you might consider a european festival

havea look at Graspop in Belgium or Hellfest in France

both have superior lineups to Download and a lot cheaper
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • vesper
    vesper Posts: 941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Download is such a great, friendly festival, I have been several times.

If you go I would recommend disabled camping, the walk to the normal campsite is hard going in the best of conditions, I was in quiet camp this year which happens to be the furthest from the car park and was over a mile walk, coupled to the fact we were over 4 hours in the queue. I am fit and young, but found it hard going, and its a long walk then to the arena.
    So definitely go for Disabled Camping as its next to the arena. The forums on the Download website are very helpful and there's a Disabled section, they will be able to tell you more about the Disabled viewing platforms. They are a lovely group on there.

It is quite hard going if the weather is poor (it has horrific this year, the mud made it impossible). But seriously don't let that put you off going, it is the most wonderful weekend. I have been 3 times now, and have tickets booked for next year.
    But I would definitely recommend you aim for Disabled camping, normal camping is not great if you are an appreciator of sleep.
    Remember never judge someone that makes a mistake, because in six months time it may be you that makes the next mistake.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure