Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

TalkTalk issue

edited 15 December 2015 at 9:24PM in Broadband & internet access
10 replies 1.1K views
Steve_xxSteve_xx Forumite
6.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 15 December 2015 at 9:24PM in Broadband & internet access
On Saturday the landline went dead, therefore no calls or broadband since.

Kept phoning them and understand there is an underground problem as the line is going to earth somewhere. The problem resides with BT Openreach to resolve - I hope.

Yesterday they intimated they may be able to somehow provide service prior to it being fixed. Just how they proposed to do this baffles me.

Today I phoned and they denied they'd said this. Even worse they asked me not to phone them until 22 December! Lord knows why it'll take them that long to fix it as we're not in any rural location.

I wondered should I ask them to provide me with a mobile SIM with data enabled, at their expense so that I can tether. Has anyone here ever made such a request to TalkTalk and if so, how as it received?

Replies

• macmanmacman Forumite
    51K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    3-5 working days is typical for OR to fix such a fault, and the current weather will be producing a backlog.
    If you are on a residential service then there is no SLA, all you will get is a credit for the downtime if you ask-no compo and no free data.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Steve_xxSteve_xx Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    3-5 working days is typical for OR to fix such a fault, and the current weather will be producing a backlog.
    If you are on a residential service then there is no SLA, all you will get is a credit for the downtime if you ask-no compo and no free data.
    Yes 3-5 days is acceptable but yesterday they said don't call again about this until 22 December which is far too long really as today is the 5th day.

We had a fiasco like this a few years ago with TalkTalk, where the line kept dropping out for periods. In the end they agreed to refund 6 months worth of line rental as the fault was eventually traced to the telegraph pole in the street. I suspect that the current fault will turn out to be the same.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    51K Posts
    Forumite
    It depends on the fault. If it's an earth fault in a cable duct then that requires it to be traced and possibly a cable repull to be organised, that takes some time. 3-5 days is just an average, some repairs can take weeks.
    6.9K Posts
    Forumite
    It depends on the fault. If it's an earth fault in a cable duct then that requires it to be traced and possibly a cable repull to be organised, that takes some time. 3-5 days is just an average, some repairs can take weeks.

Yes possibly you're right there. The problem is that they are not communicating much and you get the impression that their agents are trotting out standard garb, ie they are citing ice as a problem. So I don't feel confident that much is going on.

I had a problem with TT some years ago. It's posted on here somewhere. A similar sort of thing, although service was not totally absent at that time. It took several months to get TT to come to the house and the problem was eventually traced to the telegraph pole across the street where the pair of wires had perished where they were connected at the pole. I could be quite wrong here of course, but I suspect in the end that this fault may well have recurred. One of their web trawlers on here picked up the problem and it was sorted within a few days and I forced them to refund six months worth of line rental.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    51K Posts
    Forumite
    TT are not the engineers on site, they can only tell you what OR tell them-which is usually next to nothing.
    6.9K Posts
    Forumite
    TT are not the engineers on site, they can only tell you what OR tell them-which is usually next to nothing.
    Yes that about sums it up!
  • TalkTalkTalkTalk Forumite, Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hiya Steve_xx,

Are you still having problems with your services at the moment?

Thanks
    Emma
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    6.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Hiya Steve_xx,

Are you still having problems with your services at the moment?

Thanks
    Emma
    Yes Emma we are. Though a text message received today says it should be fixed by 21.00 hours today.
  • TalkTalkTalkTalk Forumite, Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hi Steve_xx,

If there is anything you need please contact us on our Twitter feed @TalkTalkCare or on our Community that can be found on our Website.

Thanks
    Abbie
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    6.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Just had a text mesage to say that there is to be a further update at 21.00 hours on 24th December. So, no fix today.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals