DWP consultation on pip daily living URGENT

Options
Consultation on aids and
appliances and the daily
living component of
Personal Independence
Payment

DWP are trying to get this through the system in the hope no one will notice but if it gets through it will effect all sick and disabled people as majority use aids and appliances.
Please send replys to the link below stating why this shouldn't go ahead also send letters to your MP's explaining your outrage.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/484217/pip-consultation-on-aids-and-appliances.pdf

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    You need to be specific in what you are objecting to. Would it not be a better system if aids are paid for on an as needed basis, compared to the current system that pays out continuously and often when no costs are being incurred?
  • smudge75
    smudge75 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 December 2015 at 11:07PM
    Options
    The fact is daily living isnt just about the person needing Aids, once they have them they still need help they need charged, maintenance need to be done on the aids that people have, plus daily living isnt just give for that, it is for the extra electri you use to charge these thing the gas you use as you are in your home more than a healthy person and cant get about as much. daily living is about your care needs so you use it to pay for people to help if you lose it because the dwp put this throw you people can lose the entitlement to carers allowance so people lose vital links that they need. so its not just about aids its about the DWP trying to get the welfare down taking from the helpless again
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same old argument, is it acceptable for DLA to be used to supplement the disabled income and to use as they see fit, including affording luxuries they wouldn't be able to afford if they were not disabled, or should it be used only for the purpose of helping with the specific disability.
    it is for the extra electri you use to charge these thing the gas you use as you are in your home more than a healthy person and cant get about as much

All the above, you could counter argue, ie, in this instance, you could say that if the person go about less, they use less petrol and therefore that money can be used for the additional need of electricity at home.

I think that considering the increasing claim requests for DLA year on year, especially relating to mental health issues, it comes at no surprise that the massive cost to society is starting to be more scrutinised in terms of how it is best used to do what it is intended for.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    smudge75 wrote: »
    The fact is daily living isnt just about the person needing Aids, once they have them they still need help they need charged, maintenance need to be done on the aids that people have, plus daily living isnt just give for that, it is for the extra electri you use to charge these thing the gas you use as you are in your home more than a healthy person and cant get about as much. daily living is about your care needs so you use it to pay for people to help if you lose it because the dwp put this throw you people can lose the entitlement to carers allowance so people lose vital links that they need. so its not just about aids its about the DWP trying to get the welfare down taking from the helpless again

It would be helpful to fully read the consultation document before submitting comments. The proposed changes relate to those who solely score points for the use of aids. If you need further assistance you would not be affected.

Don't waste your time on half baked submissions, they'll quite rightly be discarded as irrelevant.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    smudge75 wrote: »
    Consultation on aids and
    appliances and the daily
    living component of
    Personal Independence
    Payment

DWP are trying to get this through the system in the hope no one will notice but if it gets through it will effect all sick and disabled people as majority use aids and appliances.
    Please send replys to the link below stating why this shouldn't go ahead also send letters to your MP's explaining your outrage.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/484217/pip-consultation-on-aids-and-appliances.pdf

Given that the majority use aids and appliances, I'd much rather they were supplied with these rather than being given regular payments which may not be used for this purpose or may not even be enough to fund them.

I'm sure most genuinely disabled people who rely on appliances would agree.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much is this element worth on its own?
    After the initial outlay of aids the upkeep is minimal isn't it?
    I have 2 sticks...£20
    1 x crutch....£20
    Motability scooter.....£150 second hand....no service yet.
    Apart for charging the scooter which is pennies I don't need an on going payment unless something needs replacing.
  • fed_up_and_stressed
    Options
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    How much is this element worth on its own?
    After the initial outlay of aids the upkeep is minimal isn't it?
    I have 2 sticks...£20
    1 x crutch....£20
    Motability scooter.....£150 second hand....no service yet.
    Apart for charging the scooter which is pennies I don't need an on going payment unless something needs replacing.

My powerchair costs approx £700 a year on top of my pip for my WaV (too big to fit in a non wav vehicle) £70 a year insurance. Batteries and maintenance. Etc etc.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My powerchair costs approx £700 a year on top of my pip for my WaV (too big to fit in a non wav vehicle) £70 a year insurance. Batteries and maintenance. Etc etc.

Everyone is different, some only require the use of a stick....Maybe the option is a tailor made element but that into could cost more so the simplest and most cost-effective way is to leave it as it is?
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Assuming that a WaV is some kind of a car, wouldn't you be running a car anyway?

My husband had a mobility scooter we bought for a couple of hundred and we put that in the back of a Ford Galaxy after a friend knocked up a ramp for it, although that folded down in a way an electric wheelchair couldn't.

ETA

Sorry, just worked out what a WaV is.:o
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    edited 13 December 2015 at 7:44PM
    Options

ETA

Sorry, just worked out what a WaV is.:o

Care to share? I have no idea.

Oh! :doh: wheelchair accessible vehicle, presumably.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport