Pressured to work placement

Options
Ive not even been on JSA for 6 months yet, its getting close to that but my adviser is talking about putting me on a work placement already.

I hate the thought of working in the pound shop or something, how the hel will I be able to get a good job ever again after that?

Is there anything I can do, will I get sanctioned?

I would prefer self employment than that, but I have not been siging on 26weeks yet to be able to get new enterprise allowence.

Can I start the ball rolling for NEA so that I dont get sanctioned for doing work placment?

Comments

• bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well when I was younger and unemployed I worked packing frozen chips in a factory to cover bills, there wasn't so many benefits and people p u s s y footing around you then.

By the way, I had just completed my degree (Oxford) well educated, but guess what? I didn't mind doing what I considered a lesser job.

Get off your backside and work in Poundland, i'm sure with Christmas approaching you can earn a lot more than the amount of JSA.

Shakes head.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    JackLeach wrote: »
    Ive not even been on JSA for 6 months yet, its getting close to that but my adviser is talking about putting me on a work placement already.

I hate the thought of working in the pound shop or something, how the hel will I be able to get a good job ever again after that?

I would prefer self employment than that, but I have not been siging on 26weeks yet to be able to get new enterprise allowence.

Can I start the ball rolling for NEA so that I dont get sanctioned for doing work placment?

have a look at the boycott workfare website. Its disgusting if you are being asked to work or free.
    :footie:
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    Options

I don't understand this at all. Retail is a stepping stone to something else. Add a little training, classes, or a degree to that it's even better to future employers. If you want to start your own business, retail will help you with inventory, payroll, accounting stock ect. You can't get that experience watching Jeremy Kyle all day long.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

!!!!!!, wind yer neck in.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your plan is to start up a business in the near future then surely completing work experience isn't relevant to future employment?

I would also imagine any future employer would rather see any kind of work experience on your CV, rather than a period of unemployment without any.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options

Your hardly having much success now are you.

And work experience is valuable to any potential employer, who would prefer someone who got out there and made ends meet rather than sat at home waiting to be spoon fed "a good job"
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone noticed OP's surname? Apt or troll? :D
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    More than one past Chief Executive of Tesco started there as a shelf stacker.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doing a low paid job won't give you a dreadful disease that prevents anyone employing you. Rather it will show that you have a work ethic and are willing to make an effort.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The op won't be paid anything other than jsa and maybe travel expenses while on work placement but this doesn't mean he shouldn't do it.....Sitting on your backside is not going to lead anywhere, getting yourself out there on any placement could lead to paid employment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure