Director of company not submitted self assesments

Good Afternoon,

I registered my own limited company in December 2013 whilst being in full time employment with another company. The company had remained dormant until February 2015 - I hadn't even registered for a bank account until January.

Since February, I have traded through the company offering consultancy services full time. I was under the impression from the agency that sourced the work that I had to have a certain accountant whose fees where very high IMO (£180pm).
I was never told or asked by the accountants if I had ever filed a self assessment or annual accounts (which I have been penalized £375 for being late!). Anyway that's another topic.

I rung HMRC Self Assessment Helpline, who don't have anything on my records, despite me having a UTR send to my address this year (I presume the accountants applied for me?)

It is now my understanding that I should have submitted a self assessment for 2013/2014 and 2014/2015.

My questions:
1) Is that correct - should I have submitted twice already?
2) If so, will i be penalized - even though my company was dormant?
3) Shouldn't/Wouldn't HMRC have tried to contact me by now?

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,040
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If the company was dormant, and presumably you weren't a director of another company/self-employed/anything else that requires a SA, then there is no need to fill out one.

I'll probably be corrected, but that's my take on things.
    💙💛 💔
  • hotlymet
    hotlymet Posts: 43
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It makes no sense why i'd have to do one IMO, Can anyone point me in the right direction? After 1hr 15 mins waiting, the guy at HMRC was useless and couldn't answer this question, stating that I'd need to register for a UTC first - which i believe I have
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    HMRC would have written to you several times already if they wanted you to fill in self assessment returns. These are a "notice to complete" a return posted every April followed by reminders, then initial penalty notices followed by further penalty notices.

If you've not received any of these, have you checked that HMRC have been writing to your correct address? You havn't moved in the last 2/3 years and not told them have you?

Unless you are a higher rate taxpayer or have untaxed income, there's NO legal remit for HMRC forcing you to register for self assessment (despite their website saying you have to register if you're a director which is wrong as it's NOT a legal requirement). However, if HMRC send you a notice to complete a tax return, then you have to complete one or face the penalties.

If you've told HMRC the right address and they've been sending all correspondence to the wrong address, then you have grounds for appeal against the penalties, but they'll probably still want you to submit outstanding returns first so that they have all the necessary info to decide whether waiving penalties is appropriate.

Presumably, they now have your right address if you've received a penalty notice from them? What has prompted them to use the right address now?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure