Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

The Alphabetty Happy Chatty thread - Page 1298

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

The Alphabetty Happy Chatty thread

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
13.4K replies 1M views

Replies

• PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry if I'm not around much the next few days....... away on Friday for the weekend plus quite a lot to do before that.

Good burns advice there, about the water treatment. The cold water really reduces the heat from a burn, and it's that heat that cause the pain and damage.

So many people, even if they use water, only do it for a few seconds.

If it's impossible to use running water, then applying clean, soaking wet cloths or tissues, replacing every couple of minutes with fresh, will help.

I had a horrible oversleep this morning.
    I woke up at the usual time, watched a bit of TV, but then at about 06.45 I fell asleep again, had a weird dream and then awoke at 08.15. I hate that.

Anyway, I've just had lunch. :D
    Spinach and ricotta quiche with an endive and tomato salad, and carrot/turmeric yogurt.

I attended a very interesting talk yesterday. I'm a member of my local hospital's Trust, and the Governors lay on talks every now and then, given by consultants from the hospital, on different aspects of health and management.
    It was extremely well presented.

As well as policemen and vicars, Consultants are now getting younger and younger. :(
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Don't worry if I'm not around much the next few days....... away on Friday for the weekend plus quite a lot to do before that.

Good burns advice there, about the water treatment. The cold water really reduces the heat from a burn, and it's that heat that cause the pain and damage.

So many people, even if they use water, only do it for a few seconds.

If it's impossible to use running water, then applying clean, soaking wet cloths or tissues, replacing every couple of minutes with fresh, will help.

I had a horrible oversleep this morning.
    I woke up at the usual time, watched a bit of TV, but then at about 06.45 I fell asleep again, had a weird dream and then awoke at 08.15. I hate that.

Anyway, I've just had lunch. :D
    Spinach and ricotta quiche with an endive and tomato salad, and carrot/turmeric yogurt.

I attended a very interesting talk yesterday. I'm a member of my local hospital's Trust, and the Governors lay on talks every now and then, given by consultants from the hospital, on different aspects of health and management.
    It was extremely well presented.

As well as policemen and vicars, Consultants are now getting younger and younger. :(

I am a member of my local hospital trust as well and get the odd letter inviting me to some strange medical talks, some porter got me to sign a form when I was on the way for a ultrasound scan when I was in hospital for a couple of weeks about 6 years ago.

I hate over sleeping like that it leaves you feeling really groggy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Coffee break time ....
    Shopping done, lightbulbs changed around as ordered by Mme. She didn't order wine & crisps, but I bought some anyway ... ;)

Financial admin stuff done, food prepared and for a change I'm doing a lamb stew thing for The Boss in the slow cooker. That's bubbling away nicely now.

Next and hopefully last planned job today is a toilet seat change after my coffee break .... not sure if I have a spanner to fit the nut though ...
  • colinwcolinw Forumite
    60K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleazy wrote: »
    Coffee break time ....
    Shopping done, lightbulbs changed around as ordered by Mme. She didn't order wine & crisps, but I bought some anyway ... ;)

Financial admin stuff done, food prepared and for a change I'm doing a lamb stew thing for The Boss in the slow cooker. That's bubbling away nicely now.

Next and hopefully last planned job today is a toilet seat change after my coffee break .... not sure if I have a spanner to fit the nut though ...

That sounds like an impressive list :T
  • AlfieBlueAlfieBlue Forumite
    14.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    colinw wrote: »
    Welcome back Alfie :) :beer:

Why, thank you kind sir! I'm just easing gently back in! :p

In fact next week (half term), the family are coming to stay with
    me. :j While they're down here, they'll also be visiting other
    relatives/friends etc and having a good catch up with everyone.

So I'll be here for some of the week, and not here for some of
    the week ...... iyswim! I'm easily confused! :D :rotfl::rotfl:

I got the same Blue Peter Presenter as you, Alfie .... clearly reserved for the best! :D

:T Brilliant news Sleazy! You n' me is special! :T :j :beer:

Coffee break time ....

Blimey, you've been a busy boy! :T I'll join you for a snifter
    later. drinking-wine-smiley-emoticon.gif

I've been quite a busy bee this morning. Took myself off to
    B&Q and came home with ........ a duvet, pillows, Mulberry
    scented tea lights. Xmas tree lights and ......... a Christmas
    tree! :j:j:j :rudolf:

I sent my old tree to the tip in January. He'd served me well
    for 20+ years but had finally given up the ghost.

The tree I bought today was very similar to my old one,
    6' high, very green :p & at a bargain price of £17!!! :money:
    They were flying off the shelves, so thought it best to buy
    one asap, before they were all snatched up.

I put it together as soon as I got home & he looks lovely.
    He's been packed away for now, until early December. Can
    you tell how much I love Christmas?! :xmassign:

Alfie xxx guirlandes.gif

Ps - I'll be back in a mo - found a couple more items to
    post today.
    MILITARY WIVES CHOIRS
    HELP for HEROES
    <3
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    14.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today in 1814...The London Beer Flood. A bizarre industrial accident
    led to the deaths of 8 people as a beer tsunami swept through the
    streets of St Giles Rookery...

safe_image.php?d=AQD6lpOk6wL5Do3B&w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.historic-uk.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F04%2Fthe-london-beer-flood-1024x527.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQCUICY2q_uc8mxU

The London Beer Flood of 1814

by Ben Johnson

On Monday 17th October 1814, a terrible disaster claimed the lives
    of at least 8 people in St Giles, London. A bizarre industrial
    accident resulted in the release of a beer tsunami onto the streets
    around Tottenham Court Road.

The Horse Shoe Brewery stood at the corner of Great Russell
    Street and Tottenham Court Road. In 1810 the brewery, Meux and
    Company, had had a 22 foot high wooden fermentation tank
    installed on the premises. Held together with massive iron rings,
    this huge vat held the equivalent of over 3,500 barrels of brown
    porter ale, a beer not unlike stout.

On the afternoon of October 17th 1814 one of the iron rings
    around the tank snapped. About an hour later the whole tank
    ruptured, releasing the hot fermenting ale with such force that the
    back wall of the brewery collapsed. The force also blasted open
    several more vats, adding their contents to the flood which now
    burst forth onto the street. More than 320,000 gallons of beer
    were released into the area. This was St Giles Rookery, a densely
    populated London slum of cheap housing and tenements inhabited
    by the poor, the destitute, prostitutes and criminals >>> [Cont'd]

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/The-London-Beer-Flood-of-1814/

Alfie xxx :eek:

Just off to find the other item to post ..... be back in a jiffy!
    MILITARY WIVES CHOIRS
    HELP for HEROES
    <3
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least they died happy! :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

14.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The winning images from Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2018 have
    been announced!

safe_image.php?w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.immediate.co.uk%2Fvolatile%2Fsites%2F23%2F2018%2F10%2F19_CMYK_2-06415f8.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQAsWWktLV8OzVGy

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/photo-galleries/wildlife-photographer-of-the-year-2018-winners/

^^^Absolutely stunning :T:T:T

Alfie xxx photo-smiley.gif?1292867652
    MILITARY WIVES CHOIRS
    HELP for HEROES
    <3
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlfieBlue wrote: »
    The winning images from Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2018 have
    been announced!

safe_image.php?w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.immediate.co.uk%2Fvolatile%2Fsites%2F23%2F2018%2F10%2F19_CMYK_2-06415f8.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQAsWWktLV8OzVGy

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/photo-galleries/wildlife-photographer-of-the-year-2018-winners/

^^^Absolutely stunning :T:T:T

Alfie xxx photo-smiley.gif?1292867652

I loved the Pipe Owls, and also the Bed of Seals. The latter was strange....... at first glance it looked like a load of fish! The I enlarged it and saw what it was.

As you say......all stunning.

I don't know how people can choose a winner. And some of the contestants were so young!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Well old toilet seat off FINALLY. :T

In the end I used my 'Birmingham Screwdriver' approach (Brute force and ignorance) :mad: and managed to do it without cracking the porcelain. :)

New seat to fit tomorrow ... bought in a Homebase store that's closing locally for £9 including the 25% reduction.

Plus instructions to book a cruise with Mme. for next summer. Think that we'll likely be sailing from Newcastle, so Colin had best look out .... ;).

I'll be the guy in a Hawaii shirt and sunglasses in a panama hat holding a glass and waving ... :rotfl: