Leaving work advice pelase

Options
betterlatethannever
betterlatethannever Posts: 5,280 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 26 October 2015 at 3:44PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi
I'm currently on a seasonal contract, which comes to an end next week.

Last week i was diagnosed with a condition, that although not life threatening, is nasty and requires an op. I've been off sick since as I'm not well enough to work.

I don't think (Yes, I know, I need to find out, and will do later) that i get any sick pay

So, would it be better for me to be let go of early, as I live alone and will have no money coming in?
Would I incur any problems with claiming benefits?
As I'll be unable to work for a few weeks, would I not be able to claim JSA?

Thanks for any advice.
The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if your employer doesn't pay SSP then they need to complete a form like this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/423808/ssp1-may-2015.pdf

They will have do so if they don't pay sick pay and/or your contract has ended.

There are very few scenarios where SSP isn't paid.

Don't resign or be let go early.

Then you need to apply for ESA - you will need a fit note from your doctor as you are unfit to work. When you are better you can then transfer to JSA if you haven't found a job.

You can apply for Housing Benefit if you are renting and also council tax support if you receive SSP/ESA and have no other income/savings.

I am presuming you are single.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    pmlindyloo- many thanks for that advice :j

Yes, i am single.

thanks
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure