Buyer says item not received

Buyer bought an item worth £300. Yodel left it in his porch. The buyer says hes not received. Yodel reject the claim.

The buyer says hes going to take me to a small claims court.

What should I do?

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,040
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The customer has a contract with you, you have a contract with Yodel

Customer takes it up with you, you take it with the delivery company.

The goods aren't legally handed over until cust receives them.
    💙💛 💔
  • sjbrun
    sjbrun Posts: 470 Forumite
    This thread is probably better in the ebay board.

Have you checked that your buyer has a porch? Most houses round me don't let the couriers like to leave in the imaginary porch.

If you can't prove delivery with a signature you will loose in court so you will be better off refunding now and takinging yodel to small claims court.

It's also a very bad way to do business letting you buyer wait when you have no proof it was delivered.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    good luck taking yodel to small claims court, if you didnt get coverage for £300 you stand no chance. you'll only be able to claim back the amount you had cover for. even at small claims because when you send a parcel with £50 cover you agree to the terms that they're only liable for up to £50
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,188
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you asked your buyer to knock on their neighbours' doors to see if it has been delivered to them. People are often very odd not coming round to say they have parcels. Where do Yodel say they left the parcel? Presumably it shows tracked to delivery.

If the buyer does open a claim I think it could go either way, if the OP has a print out of the tracking from Yodel showing delivery to defend the claim.

On the Ebay board there are occasional threads along the same lines. Ebay will accept tracking as a defence which leaves buyers in limbo where it genuinely has not been delivered or stolen from a doorstep.
  • Buyer bought an item worth £300. Yodel left it in his porch. The buyer says hes not received. Yodel reject the claim.

The buyer says hes going to take me to a small claims court.

What should I do?

How on earth have you let matters get this far? :eek:

Oh well, best thing you can do today today is cross this customer off your christmas card list - I can't see them ever buying off you again.

Not sure what you want to do next.

If you don't want to go to court, I suggest you pay up.
    If you await a summons, then the cost of that will be added to the amount already claimed.

If you do want to go to court, then best get your suit cleaned & pressed in anticipation. Judges always like to see a nice clean & pressed suit, and I've got the feeling you are going to need all the support of the judge you can muster...:cool:

I am not a lawyer.
    If it's legal advice you are seeking, go & see a solicitor :)
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Enter all the info in E-bay and let them make the decision.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    you shyould have refunded the buyer asap and get them on your side. Now you will have to claim money from yodel and part of yodel's claims handling procedure is likely to be that they contact the recepient and ask them to confirm item has not been received.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2015 at 9:50PM
    I cannot believe you entrusted a parcel with a value of £300 to Yodel.

And without getting it signed for.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Isn't e-bay an assumption, no mention from op?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport