Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Meeting different doggy needs on a walk

I have a 3 year old, hyperactive Westie. Teo loves being off lead, and runs in circles like a looper.

Max is an 8 1/2 year old King Charles Cavilier. He was diagnosed with a heart murmur a few months ago - no meds needed yet, as not too serious. He was back at the vets on Monday, as after a walk he couldn't jump back into the car, or climb the 2 very shallow steps into our house. He is banned from walks for a week to rest, on anti - inflamatories, back at the vets on Monday. Vet thinks either early stages of slipped disc or arthritis. Discussing x-rays etc, once we see how it settles this week.

Anyhow. Both dogs love being off lead. Planning to stick to daily short walks to suit Max, up to half a mile. There are some lovely areas locally where they can go off lead.

Looking tips on how to give Teo plenty of exercise on such a short walk - toys etc. Max will supervise :)
:j got married 3rd May 2013 :beer:

Replies

• krlyrkrlyr Forumite
    6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    How about a doggie stroller? A good way to keep Max with you, without overdoing the exercise his end.

Also, consider doing some alternative forms of exercise with Teo. The more a fit, healthy dog exercises, the more their tolerance for exercise increases. Throw in some mental stimulation amongst the physical, e.g. have him find his toy amongst long grass, or scatter some treats for him to sniff out, or intersperse some trick/obedience training at various points in the walk (self-control can be particularly tiring - sit/down stays, for example) to get that brain worn out too.
  • danihdanih Forumite
    454 Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I try the dog training with Teo, he would certainly benefit from it!

I don't think Max is ready for a stroller yet, thankfully, will break my heart if he gets to that stage. He does enjoy his walks - plods along at a steady pace, in fairly straight line. Until his mobility deteriorated over the past couple of weeks, he did well for up to a mile (on a v good day), then sat down, wuffed, and if I didn't turn around, he turned for home himself. Stubborn article!
    :j got married 3rd May 2013 :beer:
  • krlyrkrlyr Forumite
    6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't rule out the stroller, no need to keep him in it the entire time, but would allow for longer walks with Teo without too much strain on Max. Plus, if he's on restricted exercise, it's a good way to give the mental stimulation of fresh air and new sights without the physical strain.

You would need a bit of time to introduce it and teach him to chill in it though - so another reason to consider it before you think you need it.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When I had an oldie who could no longer cope with the walks the younger dog needed I took both dogs out for a walk to suit the oldie , brought them home, setled the oldie with a chew and then took the youngster out for a longer walk.

As Teo is telling you when he hs had enough either take him home and go out again with the younger dog or use a stroller when he has had enough. He can pop out and in if he wants- walk a bit, rest a bit, then walk a bit again.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals