School - illness absence

Options
Just a curiosity on this one - to see if anyone else (particularly the teachers) has come across this one.


The latest letter home from school states that the latest absence regulations require schools to explain absence in detail e.g. illness is not sufficient so they want specific illness diagnosis.


Now that throws up a number of issues not least the fact that sometimes its not possible to know what is wrong with them - just that they aren't fit for school. Even then is the fact that they are throwing up specific enough or do we need to try to guess whether its norovirus, food poisoning or a side effect of something else (my youngest used to throw up if he had an ear infection for example).


Anyway a quick google shows no sign of said regulations so just wondering if anyone else has any idea where this is coming from. Fortunately my kids are so rarely off school that it won't be that relevant but I'm just a bit curious as I'd not heard anything on the news etc about this.
Adventure before Dementia!
«134567

Comments

  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »
    Just a curiosity on this one - to see if anyone else (particularly the teachers) has come across this one.


    The latest letter home from school states that the latest absence regulations require schools to explain absence in detail e.g. illness is not sufficient so they want specific illness diagnosis.


    Now that throws up a number of issues not least the fact that sometimes its not possible to know what is wrong with them - just that they aren't fit for school. Even then is the fact that they are throwing up specific enough or do we need to try to guess whether its norovirus, food poisoning or a side effect of something else (my youngest used to throw up if he had an ear infection for example).


    Anyway a quick google shows no sign of said regulations so just wondering if anyone else has any idea where this is coming from. Fortunately my kids are so rarely off school that it won't be that relevant but I'm just a bit curious as I'd not heard anything on the news etc about this.


    Regulations are not laws. In other words, feel free to ignore.
  • ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I doubt they'll want anything that specific. At work if we're self-certifying you get a list something like this:


    Cold/flu
    Anxiety/Depression/Mental Illness
    Gastric
    Broken bones
    Pregnancy (hopefully not applicable for your case!)


    etc...
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »
    The latest letter home from school states that the latest absence regulations require schools to explain absence in detail e.g. illness is not sufficient so they want specific illness diagnosis.

    Now that throws up a number of issues not least the fact that sometimes its not possible to know what is wrong with them - just that they aren't fit for school. Even then is the fact that they are throwing up specific enough or do we need to try to guess whether its norovirus, food poisoning or a side effect of something else (my youngest used to throw up if he had an ear infection for example).

    I can understand the school wanting a bit more information that "he is ill" but they can't expect parents to give a diagnosis.

    I would be happy to add details like 'vomiting' or 'migraine' to explain a child's absence from school but even that isn't always possible. When our boys first went down with M.E., they just weren't well - there wasn't anything explicit to say.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm with ceh209 - it's just like being at work. They need an idea of what was up, D&V, cold/flu etc.

    Schools get loads of 'Johnny was off school yesterday due to illness' etc.
  • supersaver2
    Options
    Think you are thinking to deeply into this, the schools won't need an actual diagnoses, just saying a cold, sickness, migraine etc will suffice. I work in a school and it is useful getting more details than just being 'ill' as we often have trends of stomach bugs, colds etc going round. Last year we were struck quite badly with the noro virus and we were able to educate the children on ways to prevent this spreading further. If all parents just said their child was 'ill' we wouldn't have known.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Think you are thinking to deeply into this, the schools won't need an actual diagnoses, just saying a cold, sickness, migraine etc will suffice. I work in a school and it is useful getting more details than just being 'ill' as we often have trends of stomach bugs, colds etc going round. Last year we were struck quite badly with the noro virus and we were able to educate the children on ways to prevent this spreading further. If all parents just said their child was 'ill' we wouldn't have known.



    Useful to know, is not the same as saying it's a regulation.


    Actually some people may want to keep this information to themselves.
  • supersaver2
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Useful to know, is not the same as saying it's a regulation.


    Actually some people may want to keep this information to themselves.

    The school could have this as a regulation so as to protect their children if something contagious is breaking out. Genuinely can't see what the fuss is or why some people go out their way to cause problems or feel aggrieved. My daughters nursery have it in the terms and conditions that we must let them know of any contagious condition's, chicken pox, head lice etc. Can't see an issue myself.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The difference is whether there is a new requirement on the school to keep this information as the letter suggests or whether they have decided themselves they would like this information - in which case that is how they should have expressed it.


    I agree that its not a big issue in itself however its not the first time that we've had rather dubious explanations for things and that is really my interest.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    The school could have this as a regulation so as to protect their children if something contagious is breaking out. Genuinely can't see what the fuss is or why some people go out their way to cause problems or feel aggrieved. My daughters nursery have it in the terms and conditions that we must let them know of any contagious condition's, chicken pox, head lice etc. Can't see an issue myself.



    Some people don't want to advertise everything in their lives for all to see or hear.


    Just to be clear like I said these 'regulations' are not law, and therefore aren't enforceable.


    Some people don't 'cause problems' for the sake of it - but good to know that someone who's involved with educating young minds see's anyone who disagrees with her view point as a 'problem' and not just an individual who doesn't agree.


    Something contagious, sure I understand that, it's a public health issue. Something personal and with no medical risks to anyone else - I think more than reasonable to keep this to the people who you want to know.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »
    The difference is whether there is a new requirement on the school to keep this information as the letter suggests or whether they have decided themselves they would like this information - in which case that is how they should have expressed it.


    I agree that its not a big issue in itself however its not the first time that we've had rather dubious explanations for things and that is really my interest.


    Is it 'legal' for the school to ask for this - sure. But anyone can ask anyone else whatever they want.


    Is it the law that you must tell the school - no, it's not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards