🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Housing benefits - Custody question

Options
I'm wondering if anyone knows the rules on a housing benefit claim where the parents (separated) share 50/50 custody of their one child (9).

The dad works 30+ hours a week but only earns 16.5k a year so cannot afford to cover the rent alone (950pcm).

Online calculator asks about dependent children & my question is, Will he get a 2 bed allowance with 50/50 custody?

The child spends alternate weeks with each parent & full split of holidays etc.

Many thanks
I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45

Comments

• Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    Whoever receives the Child Benefit is treated as having the dependant children.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Normally the resident parent is the one claiming child benefit who claims HB, so if he doesn't already he will need to claim it instead of you.
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    Options
    Ah ok, that makes sense, so if they get the CB changed into his name he will get the 2 bed allowance.

The mum doesn't claim any benefits so probably better that she loses the CB then.

Thanks

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 October 2015 at 9:39AM
    Options
    quidsy wrote: »
    Ah ok, that makes sense, so if they get the CB changed into his name he will get the 2 bed allowance.

The mum doesn't claim any benefits so probably better that she loses the CB then.

Thanks

That will take a lot of convincing as the mum will then need to pay child support to the dad. Whoever gets the child benefit also receives the child support from the other parent who would then be responsible for paying for most of the child's expenses. The paying parent would only really be responsible for food whilst in their care. The receiving parent would pay for expenses such as clothing out of the money. If the mother doesn't trust he'll do that she'll refuse to allow the child benefit to switch to him.

If he claimed the child benefit he could also claim tax credits. Sometimes people can come to an agreement but in most cases it's very difficult to agree.

There is a potential without changing anything to claim housing benefit over the amount you are automatically eligible for. It's called discretionary housing benefit and it's for people in severe financial hardship. You need to prove you are in the cheapest accommodation available for your needs and your income is too low to pay the rent. You need to have negotiated with the landlord to lower the rent even further. It's very difficult to get and is usually only short term but can go on for quite a long time.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    That will take a lot of convincing as the mum will then need to pay child support to the dad.

Only if he insisted on her doing so. Parents can come to their own arrangements and often do so when care is so evenly shared.
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2015 at 9:46AM
    Options
    There is no child support. The mother pays all child's expenses atm & will continue to do so.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family