So you've finally done it - how is the charge cleared at the Land Registry...?

So you've finally paid off the mortgage - what is involved in removing the charge from the title with the land registry? Are there legal costs involved in doing this or does the lender handle all of this upon redemption?

The only pages I can find talk about various forms that are "usually completed by the solicitor..." and refer to the usual conveyancing process of buying and selling, I can't find anything that describes how the charge is removed when you simply "pay off" your mortgage...

Anyone any the wiser....!?

Replies

• You lender simply contacts the land registry to remove the charge on your property. Cost me nothing with the Nationwide.
  • MartinslovechildMartinslovechild Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My bank took care of it automatically.

The Land Registry then contacted me by letter a couple of days later to confirm that the charge had been removed, along with a copy of the title deed.
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • david78david78 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    You may get a form from the lender that you need to sign and send to the appropriate Land Registry office for your property. This is listed on the form. The lender usually fills it in (apart from your signature). Once they get the form the Land Registry remove the charge and send you a letter, along with a paper copy of the deed (with legal charge removed).

There is no cost for doing this and you don't need to use a solicitor. You might consider using registered first class post though.
  • runmartinrunmartin Forumite
    32 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    djm1972 wrote: »
    So you've finally paid off the mortgage - what is involved in removing the charge from the title with the land registry? Are there legal costs involved in doing this or does the lender handle all of this upon redemption?

The only pages I can find talk about various forms that are "usually completed by the solicitor..." and refer to the usual conveyancing process of buying and selling, I can't find anything that describes how the charge is removed when you simply "pay off" your mortgage...

Anyone any the wiser....!?

It was done automatically by the lender but it took about a month to come through.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals