EE asking for £100 deposit

Options
daverave7
daverave7 Posts: 262 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've bought an iPhone from affordable mobiles with EE as the network. However I just got the e-mail...

"We have your new handset ready to dispatch, however EE have requested a fully refundable deposit of £100.

This will be refunded in full by the network, usually at the end of your contract."

Is this normal?!

Comments

• Cuilean
    Cuilean Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I seem to remember they did the same to my husband when he first joined them. He'd never had any sort of credit or loan, other than his mortgage, and apparently there wasn't enough data on him when they did credit searches. They weren't saying he had poor credit history, just that he didn't have enough credit history.

More info here:
    http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/security-deposits-and-credit-checks
    © Cuilean 2005. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happened with me the first time I had a contract with Orange. The money comes back in the end.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 October 2015 at 6:38PM
    Options
    daverave7 wrote: »
    I've bought an iPhone from affordable mobiles with EE as the network. However I just got the e-mail...

"We have your new handset ready to dispatch, however EE have requested a fully refundable deposit of £100.

This will be refunded in full by the network, usually at the end of your contract."

Is this normal?!

It just means his credit check came back with a low pass, it happens to a fair number of people who have less than good credit.

You do get it back, so as long as you can budget for the extra expenditure it isn't the end of the world.

From the link posted above, you should get it back within 6 months with good conduct of the account.
    Your deposit will be automatically released back into your account when you've established a good payment history with us. You might typically receive this back within six months. However, prompt payment of your account by the due date advised on your bill for consecutive months will accelerate this.
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport