Homemade beauty ideas

Options
domestic_goddess
domestic_goddess Posts: 1,044 Forumite
edited 29 August 2023 at 4:25PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
My 13 year old is very into making things like face masks and body scrubs but I'm running out of ideas for her!

Does anyone have any ideas for homemade beauty products that she could try and make?

Thanks x

Comments

• lelaina
    Options
    Making bath bombs is pretty easy once you get the hang of it and super fun! :) You can get moulds and things off ebay for pretty cheap. There's loads of tutorials online. :)

I've also made bath melts and body bars using Shea/Cocoa butter before. Again, you can get then in bulk off ebay and then add your own essence/rose petals whatever and pour into moulds.

Hope this helps!
  • LB29
    LB29 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Do,you have Pinterest? I've found loads of bits on there. Homemade lip balms, body scrubs, body butters etc. some of them are very good imitations of a brand I like but is out of my price range ;-)
    November GC-£128.30/£200
    SPC9-#538
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I was making bath and body stuff, Justasoap were one of my suppliers.

They have all the ingredients she'll need. How about melt and pour soap? There are some great moulds, colours and scents and all you do is melt the soap base, add colour and scent, then pour into a mould and leave to set.

I started out making melt and pour soap and bathbombs, and ended up making soap from scratch as well as creams and butters etc and learning a lot of chemistry in the process! I also started my own business, but gave up when the EU regulations got more expensive to comply with. (In order to sell any cosmetics, you have to comply with the EU Cosmetic Directive.)
  • chocolatelover93
    Options
    I love making my own things too :)
    I just go on Youtube and type in different tutorials for things they're quite good :) I would suggest watching the whole video before getting ingredients etc as some arn't brilliant.
    I made some mascara that went moudly after a few days :/ so read the comments too xx
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • Gigervamp
    Options
    I made some mascara that went moudly after a few days :/ so read the comments too xx

I'm betting it had water and no preservative. Anything that has water in it will need a broad spectrum preservative. Not all the baddies are visible, like mould is.
  • decca2013
    decca2013 Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2015 at 7:00PM
    Options
    On pinterest I found some links to making whipped shea body butter and had some success with it myself. I used shea butter, vit E oil (both from amazon) and coconut oil from the supermarket. Basically you melt them together and when it's cooled quite a lot (starting to thicken up) whip it with a whisk or mixer. Mine still had a nutty smell from the shea so next time I'll use some essential oil, peppermint might be nice for foot cream.
  • chocolatelover93
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    I'm betting it had water and no preservative. Anything that has water in it will need a broad spectrum preservative. Not all the baddies are visible, like mould is.

No, it had vitamin E tablets that were meant to help preserve it, I can only think that there was a bit of moister in the tub I put it in :/
  • Gigervamp
    Options
    I expect so. The Vit E would help to stop the oils going rancid as it's an antioxident. What were the other ingredients?
  • chocolatelover93
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    I expect so. The Vit E would help to stop the oils going rancid as it's an antioxident. What were the other ingredients?

Aloe vera gel, activated charcol and beeswax
  • Gigervamp
    Options
    Hmm. The aloe vera gel should have preservative in it, so the only thing I can think of is if the container or brush had some moisture on it. Oh or,if you used aloe gel that had been opened for sometime and the preservative had lost its effectiveness.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback