child benefit end date

Options
my son has special needs and is 18. he has just returned to college on a special needs course but is struggling and will probably have to drop out before being thrown out for non attendance. he has severe anxiety, bowel problems and is on autistic spectrum. i suspect this leaving college will come soon! he currently receives DLA and i get child tax credit/child benefit and carers allowance for him.
if he gives up college, what happens with child benefit, i know child tax credit stops straight away, but what about child benefit. i want it to stop straight away so he can claim ESA but i have read you have to carry on to end of November.
its going to be a big enough drop going off child tax credit onto ESA, for me to manage his disabilities , but if we only receive his child benefit for several weeks we won't be able to manage.

Before anyone says anything, yes i would love him to stay at college, but he is becoming seriously ill with the stress of attending. although he is on a special needs course it is aimed more at those with learning disabilities than those on autistic spectrum, but it is best on offer locally.

many thanks

G.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family