Would you move to a new area to get a council house?

Options
Hi, we are a family of 8 living in a 3 bed privately rented house. We have lived in this house for 5 years have a good landlord and pay a reasonable rent. The council where my family live have offered me a 4 bed council house, this town is 2 hours away from where we live now so would obviously mean new schools, jobs etc.

I love living where we are now, I love the kids schools they are amazing, however I keep thinking what will happen to us when the landlord decideds to sell the house, we have a less than perfect credit record so not much chance of getting another privately rented property, plus the 4 bed houses around here are far too expensive for us to afford. We are really cramped in this house and the thought of this larger council house is really tempting however we would be giving up so much I dont know if its worth it.

Also with the council rents due to change next year, we may end up paying more in rent for a council house then we do now. What would you do?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What's the area that you are considering moving to like?
    Is there opportunity there not just for yourselves but for the offspring.
    I know I can go from a semi detached where I am to a detached new home just 12 miles up the road, however the savings will be offset by travelling for everything from jobs to grocery, mobile coverage the list goes on.
  • rhianna99
    Options
    Its Winchester in Hampshire, its a house on an estate, we are currently in Milton Keynes, we have zero chance of securing social housing here as there is not even a waiting list. I think there are good prospects for the kids in both places, certainly the secondary schools in Winchester are much better than here but the primary schools here are wonderful and my kids are very happy.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How old arethe children and what is your and your partner's (if you have one) work situation?
  • rhianna99
    Options
    My husband works full time as a warehouse manager and I am currently a stay at home mum as my youngest is 10 months. I plan to return to work next year. My other kids are 15, 11, 7, 5, 3 .
    My eldest is in his last year of school, which could be a problem, my 11 year old has just started secondary. My 7 year old has just started junior school, my 5 year old has just started school and my 3 year old has just joined the school nursery.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    rhianna99 wrote: »
    My husband works full time as a warehouse manager and I am currently a stay at home mum as my youngest is 10 months. I plan to return to work next year. My other kids are 15, 11, 7, 5, 3 .
    My eldest is in his last year of school, which could be a problem, my 11 year old has just started secondary. My 7 year old has just started junior school, my 5 year old has just started school and my 3 year old has just joined the school nursery.

As long as you can find accommodation (perhaps with friends?) for your eldest so he can finish his exams, it's quite a good time to move the rest of the children and your chances of finding work will be easier further south. Has your husband started looking for work in that area, contacting agencies etc., or could he find somewhere to stay in MK while he looks?

It sounds like too good an opportunity to miss.
  • rhianna99
    Options
    I dont feel like I could leave my eldest behind, thats a big ask for somebody to take him in for 9 months. My husband would take any job to start with, even if it meant a pay cut, he has had a quick look and there is plenty about.
    I will feel so guilty about moving the kids schools, I probably wouldnt be able to get the little ones into the local school, they may not even get a space at the same school. They are so happy right now and enjoying their new schools, I feel so upset just thinking about moving them.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Options
    How about you and the younger children moving to the other house, and your OH staying with your son in MK until he finishes school? It would give your OH time to find the right job (or even a transfer) and you could all be together at weekends. OH and son could find somewhere small, but giving your son sufficient space (and also peace) in which to study. Might that be do-able?
  • Winchester is really nice, and in a lovely bit of the South
  • CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was younger, my parents moved several times, including a move to Australia and back to England 5 years later. As the middle child it meant that my schooling was muddled up the most; my sister had left school when we came back to UK, my brother had only just started primary school.

I did 7 schools in 5 years, in different countries, counties and education authorities. In some ways it was not helpful, in others it was. However, it was what my parents did for their own reasons, which ultimately was to benefit the family.

If you can't leave the older child behind to finish his exam year, now is a good time to move him as the school year has only just started. The advantage of the current education system is that the GCSE coursework and exams are pretty standard countrywide I believe. When I moved about I had 2 different countries education systems to deal with, plus 4 different exam boards with a completely different curriculum in some subjects. The younger ones are at an age when they will adapt quite easily.

We live in a military town; kids are moving every 2 years unless the parents put them in boarding school and they seem to cope ok. Are you worrying more than the children are, perhaps?

The advantage of having family nearby is a big bonus, especially if you are planning to go back to work and they can help. You would also have a secure tenancy, most people would give their eye teeth for that, especially in Winchester!!

Without wishing to sound mean, the 15 year old and the 11 year old are the main issues, more so the 15 year old as he is in an important exam year. Have you asked him his opinion?

FWIW, I'd move in a heart beat. When we moved all the time when I was a kid I wasn't too thrilled but now I'm glad it happened, gave me more of a 'view' of the world, different cultures, localities etc. Good luck
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,175 Forumite
    Options
    CathA wrote: »
    I did 7 schools in 5 years, in different countries, counties and education authorities. In some ways it was not helpful, in others it was. However, it was what my parents did for their own reasons, which ultimately was to benefit the family.

If you can't leave the older child behind to finish his exam year, now is a good time to move him as the school year has only just started. The advantage of the current education system is that the GCSE coursework and exams are pretty standard countrywide I believe. When I moved about I had 2 different countries education systems to deal with, plus 4 different exam boards with a completely different curriculum in some subjects. The younger ones are at an age when they will adapt quite easily.

Without wishing to sound mean, the 15 year old and the 11 year old are the main issues, more so the 15 year old as he is in an important exam year. Have you asked him his opinion?
    Yes, I agree the 11yo and 15yo would be my concerns in terms of schooling. The 11yo because I live in an area where the better Secondary schools get full up pretty quickly and you have little chance of getting in once the academic year has started. Might be different where you are though or you may have a child who will do well regardless.

15yo I'm not sure about. Even if the new school can offer the same subjects and the same exam board. Do all schools do the different units at the same time? This is something I would query with the school about how feasible or not it would be to move. If it isn't possible will the offer of housing still be there next summer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure