Money owed affect HB?

Options
I today won a county court claim for some money owed to me. I haven't got the money yet but obviously the defendant knows he needs to pay it to me.
As of Monday ill be working part time and claiming some HB, WTC and CTC. I know it wont affect the TC but will it affect the HB? The total due including interest is approx £5400.

Comments

• Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    If it takes your capital over £6,000 it has to be declared. Different rules for your Council Tax Support.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • PlymouthMaid
    Options
    The money will also have to actually be yours I think before you declare anything to HB - very often these court judgements still don't result in getting the dosh.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • shoe*diva79
    shoe*diva79 Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    Options
    If it takes your capital over £6,000 it has to be declared. Different rules for your Council Tax Support.

I wont be getting council tax support from Monday according to the entitledto calc online. It shouldn't take it over £6k I would imagine, currently have £14.30 in the bank!
  • shoe*diva79
    Options
    The money will also have to actually be yours I think before you declare anything to HB - very often these court judgements still don't result in getting the dosh.

Thanks, ill be making sure I get it via bailiffs if need be :)
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    Thanks, ill be making sure I get it via bailiffs if need be :)

Sheriffs would be cheaper and more effective.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I today won a county court claim for some money owed to me. I haven't got the money yet but obviously the defendant knows he needs to pay it to me.
    As of Monday ill be working part time and claiming some HB, WTC and CTC. I know it wont affect the TC but will it affect the HB? The total due including interest is approx £5400.

It doesn't count until you get it and as you only have £14.30 in the bank it won't make any difference at all to your housing benefit payment as you need to have over £6,000.

Good luck with your claim.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • shoe*diva79
    Options
    Sheriffs would be cheaper and more effective.

Isn't Sheriffs for Scotland?
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They're now called High Court Enforcement Officers.

They're similar to Bailiffs but they work under a Writ of Control.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure