Raised beds

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
5 replies 1.2K views
freddiefredfredfreddiefredfred Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
I struggled this year getting veg to grow in my heavy clay soil and am looking to build some raised beds for better drainage ready for next year. The standard advice when I google this is go round local builders for old scaffolding boards but I don't drive so have no way of transporting these home.

Does anyone have ideas for how to build raised beds cheaply with materials that can be delivered?

Replies

• wallbashwallbash
    17.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I struggled this year getting veg to grow in my heavy clay soil and am looking to build some raised beds for better drainage ready for next year. The standard advice when I google this is go round local builders for old scaffolding boards but I don't drive so have no way of transporting these home.

Does anyone have ideas for how to build raised beds cheaply with materials that can be delivered?

Decking boards
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Local builders merchant will normally deliver for free.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • madjackslammadjackslam Forumite
    278 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Look on ebay or try local scaffolding firms. They are used to delivering scaffolding, so should be able to deliver. My understanding is that the rules for using scaffolding boards are quite strict, so they have regular turnover. Six years ago I got 50 boards for £250, delivered. They are starting to go now, but I could have done better in terms of preservation and, possibly, lining the inside so the boards didn't take all the wet.
  • wellusedwellused Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    You can actually make raised beds without having boards or any kind of edging just get some good compost or well rotted manure and spread it out over the area that you want to grow veg in, the deeper the better obviously it will be higher in the middle sloping down to the edges but there's no way that it wouldn't work like that.
  • Online gardening shops will deliver raised bed kits - convenience comes with cost though.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News