🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How much bedroom tax?

Options
Hi. I'm after a bit of advice. My son's starting work next week and his take home pay will be approx. £718 per calendar month. How can I find out how much bedroom tax he will have to pay? My rent is £93.76 per week and I get £69.41 housing benefit.

TIA

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    None. Bedroom tax does not exist.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • bravo20
    Options
    I wish it didn't.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bedroom tax (not its real name) is a reduction in housing benefit in social housing based on the number of surplus bedrooms
    I believe you should be asking about non-dependent deductions which is the amount your housing benefit would be reduced by based on his income
    you should be able to find details on your local councils site
    http://www.wkda.org.uk/downloads/non-dependant_deductions.pdf
    so it looks like your HB would be reduced by £33.40 per week...you can then agree with him how much board he needs to pay
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bravo20 wrote: »
    I wish it didn't.

Seriously it doesn't. The media made up that name. Do you pay rent to a housing association or council? If you have an empty bedroom your housing benefit could be reduced if you have an empty room. If your son is moving back in you'll be entitled to more housing benefit as you have a need for an extra bedroom not less. Then the higher rate of housing benefit will then be reduced by a non dependant deduction so you'll end up with almost the same amount as before.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    bravo20 wrote: »
    I wish it didn't.

Your wish has come true, it doesn't exist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport