🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Overtime and tax credits

Options
HI first post on here , just after a little info/advice on tax credits/ housing benefit , i am a family man with a partner and two children aged one and four, we are currently private renting , i am in full time employment earning below the national avarege < 25k , we currently receive tax credits and housing benefit which top our income up, i have recently worked some overtime but im unsure if its actually worthwhile because im aware that the more i earn at the end of the tax year, the more tax credits and housing benefit is deducted the following year, obviously if it isn't that financially beneficial i would rather be spending time with my family instead, i just dont know.

Comments

• NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suppose it rather depends on your goals in life. Do you want to support your family yourself, or do you want the State to support them ?

Personally, I'd rather be answerable to no one.
  • Skybluecity
    Options
    True and i agree entirely but i would also rather be spending quality time with my family than working overtime for nothing.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    True and i agree entirely but i would also rather be spending quality time with my family than working overtime for nothing.

But you're not working for nothing. You are being paid by your employer instead of being paid by the state (tax payers money)

Perhaps you ought to review your thinking as from April next year you are likely to see a massive reduction in your tax credits and will then be glad of the overtime.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your tax credits and housing benefit aren't reduced £ for £. Your housing benefit would be affected now and not April if you did overtime.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2015 at 8:43PM
    Options
    Oh thats lovely ,well done you and whilst your having the extra "quality time" with the family spare a thought for the rest of us who work long hours and pay the extra tax that you receive in benefits.

If everyone did the same as you there wouldn't be a benefits system so man up and support the kids you chose to have.

I'm guessing this thread is a wind up..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family