ESA and national insurance contributions

Options
Hi

I applied for contribution based ESA as I have sever anxiety and depression but have been told that I cannot receive anything as I have not paid enough national insurance for the year 2013/2014 even though I was working. I am unsure what to do now as I cannot claim income based as my partner earns £21,000 before deductions. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could claim as we can not survive on just my partners wage.
I am also a little confused on how they work out the national insurance contributions so if anyone can shed light on this it would help too.

Thank you!

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

I applied for contribution based ESA as I have sever anxiety and depression but have been told that I cannot receive anything as I have not paid enough national insurance for the year 2013/2014 even though I was working. I am unsure what to do now as I cannot claim income based as my partner earns £21,000 before deductions. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could claim as we can not survive on just my partners wage.
    I am also a little confused on how they work out the national insurance contributions so if anyone can shed light on this it would help too.

Thank you!

The criteria for claiming contribution based ESA is a little complicated.

This link may help.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance-contribution-based

You could put your details into the benefit calculator on https://www.entitledto.co.uk to see if you are eligible for any other benefits.

On an income of £21000 pa unless you have children it is possible that you will not be eligible for any financial help.

Considering that ESA is just £73 ish a week then it is probable that you are going to have to have a close look at your expenditure and see if there are any ways to increase your income whether you are eligible for the ESA or not.

You could try posting on the debt free wannabe forums and posting a statement of affairs to see if the good people on that forum can suggest ways to cut down on your expenditure. Also you should have a good read of all Martin's articles by clicking on the blue band at the top of the website.

If your illness means that you have extra care/mobility needs then you may be eligible for PIP. This benefit is not means tested so your partner's income or any savings won't be taken into account. Do some googling and see if you meet the PIP descriptors.

Are you receiving help for your illness?
  • beckylewis1983
    Options
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply.
    I do have 2 children and have informed the tax credits that I have recently been let off from work due to my illness. I am also seeing a therapist and taking medication for my anxiety and depression.
    I'm just a bit confused with what I can and cannot claim at the minute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure