smart phone security?

Options
donnajunkie
donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
my dad has got a message from the security app that came with his phone saying you are not protected and that he should turn the security app on. does anyone actually do this? does it drain the battery or slow the phone down?

do you use security software on your phone? 12 votes

yes.
16% 2 votes
no.
83% 10 votes

Comments

• Im_just_careful
    Options
    If the phone is only used for "mainstream" apps from the app store, email, browsing etc I wouldn't bother.

If anything I would check out the "security app" to see if it is genuine.

I've never had a phone or tablet which came with a security app.

On the other hand, any "find my phone", "remote wipe" or "remotely disable" function should be turned on.

Many more people have their phones stolen or lost than have problems with downloaded material on phones.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    If the phone is only used for "mainstream" apps from the app store, email, browsing etc I wouldn't bother.

If anything I would check out the "security app" to see if it is genuine.

I've never had a phone or tablet which came with a security app.

On the other hand, any "find my phone", "remote wipe" or "remotely disable" function should be turned on.

Many more people have their phones stolen or lost than have problems with downloaded material on phones.
    he does watch mobdro and showbox on his phone. apart from that it is pretty much just mainstream stuff.
    the app was preinstalled with the phone. its avg protection. also i heard of another one called lookout, is that any good?
    security software on pc's are a necessary evil but we dont want to be forking out for more subscriptions if not needed.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "security software on pc's are a necessary evil but we dont want to be forking out for more subscriptions if not needed."

I have tried CM Security( Cheetah Mobile ) on several mobiles, it is free and performs quite well.

As well as security its deals with clearing junk off the mobile, has optional screen locks, app locks, extending battery life and finding your phone if lost.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Security on Android not needed providing you only download from Google Play .

See multiple identical posts on this subject .
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    I put malwarebytes on my phone, doesnt seem to slow it down at all. Nothing has been found or blocked yet though so maybe its useless or not needed lol
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    he does watch mobdro and showbox on his phone. apart from that it is pretty much just mainstream stuff.
    the app was preinstalled with the phone. its avg protection. also i heard of another one called lookout, is that any good?
    security software on pc's are a necessary evil but we dont want to be forking out for more subscriptions if not needed.
    All a security app can do on a non rooted phone is use up the battery/system resources more quickly. They can't actually do anything security wise due to how the security model works on phones. They are not worth installing.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    thanks everyone.
  • woody2234
    woody2234 Posts: 414 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What make of phone is it and what shop did you buy it from , I did not know you can buy a phone with antivirus already installed on it
    Let them eat cake (Marie Antoinette 1765)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I put malwarebytes on my phone, doesnt seem to slow it down at all. Nothing has been found or blocked yet though so maybe its useless or not needed lol

I have an Android phone and used MalwareBytes' AM for a while. Another application ("Clean Master") shows that it often eats up a fair bit of processing power. I don't know how much real-life difference that makes.

Only once (in over a year) did MalwareBytes claim to have detected malware (in a game demo downloaded from the Google app shop).
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    woody2234 wrote: »
    What make of phone is it and what shop did you buy it from , I did not know you can buy a phone with antivirus already installed on it
    the app is there but its not activated. sony m4 aqua.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure