JSA Youth advisors?

Options
My daughter has to sign on for JSA for the first time on Monday. Her appointment isn't at our local Jobcentre plus but at one with a youth advisor 8 miles away (or just over an hour away with our rubbish buses).

Does anyone know anything about Youth advisors, are they there to look out for young people who have no qualifications and absolutely no work experience or do they also have help to offer to young people who have uni qualifications and some (all be it limited) work experience?
I'm not an AE I'm just an idiot who forgot to update email details, went away for a bit and then tried to come back after the old laptop died :o:rotfl:

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    looby1975 wrote: »
    My daughter has to sign on for JSA for the first time on Monday. Her appointment isn't at our local Jobcentre plus but at one with a youth advisor 8 miles away (or just over an hour away with our rubbish buses).

Does anyone know anything about Youth advisors, are they there to look out for young people who have no qualifications and absolutely no work experience or do they also have help to offer to young people who have uni qualifications and some (all be it limited) work experience?

I don't have any direct experience but my understanding is that their main target group is the NEETS.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmworpen/151/15107.htm
  • Feyfangirl
    Feyfangirl Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had some experience as a young person signing on, I know it differs from person to person, though personally if you are willing to sign on, and do what it takes to get a job (within reason) they will be more than willing to help......

I hope it goes well for your daughter, though careers advice also can be useful, though sometimes what they advise is not always accurate :(
    "No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing...we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future"

Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney Rise from the Ashes
  • looby1975
    looby1975 Posts: 400 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks. The frustrating thing is that she has to pass our local Jobcentre to get to the one with the Youth advisor. If the advisor can give post graduate advice, great it's worth the extra cost and time but if not then I wonder if she will be able to ask to be transferred to our local JC.

She has already applied for plenty of jobs, but in the science field the application process tends to be slow, some of the jobs she's applied for don't even close until sept/october. She's also apply for temp jobs (bar work cleaning ect) and even handed an application into our local co op last night.

It's depressing that after 3 years of very hard work, a good degree from a good uni, and £30k (ish) debt, she's having to sign on. :(
    I'm not an AE I'm just an idiot who forgot to update email details, went away for a bit and then tried to come back after the old laptop died :o:rotfl:
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    It may be a one off appointment (at the other JCP) just to see what qualifications your daughter has.

www.savethegraduate.org may be of help to her.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • looby1975
    looby1975 Posts: 400 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks Mersey, she already has that site bookmarked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure