Am I eligible for benefits?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I start a new job in September but obviously I won't be paid until the end of that month.

I currently don't have a job and I'm trying to pay for bills/rent still etc. I was working for a teacher agency but because it's now summer holidays, I am jobless and moneyless.

Now, I've looked online and done some research and because I'm starting a job in September, have no dependents and live with my partner who works full time, I'm not eligible for anything. But I'm thinking this must be wrong as how am I supposed to pay for everyday living in the meantime?
I don't know the protocol regarding benefits and financial help for a job that doesn't start straight away...

As an edit note, my partner is only on an 18k per annum job, so supporting us both is very difficult, if not impossible currently.

Comments

• Sponge_Cake
    Options
    He earns £18k
    I'm 26, he's 22
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Temp job to support yourself over summer - preumably as you're educated enough to be a teacher you've some skills that could be used.

Or are you just chilling over summer and expecting someone to pick up the tab ?
  • Sponge_Cake
    Options
    It's not actually that easy just to "find a temp job" when you start work in a few weeks time...no I'm not looking for an easy ride or a rest . If someone offered me a job until September, I would take it up in a shot. I hate sitting around doing nothing all day while my partner works. I've been volunteering at CAB and the women's centre for a few weeks now but obviously it's unpaid.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's not actually that easy just to "find a temp job" when you start work in a few weeks time...

I have registered with temp agencies had work with in days for as long or as short as I wanted.

So why did you not register with any non-teaching agencies a few weeks ago?

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Sponge_Cake
    Options
    It's a massive struggle with rent, bills, food shopping, car costs, his train season ticket, we both have a student loan too, but obviously that hasn't been much of an issue yet as they don't start asking for the repayments until you're earning over a certain amount.

I suppose it'll be a case of using the credit card and paying it back once I start earning again.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When doing supply did you not set aside cash for non working periods?

You mention a partner - partners support each other?

Had the boot been on the other foot you'd have supported him?

If you had applied to an agency before term ended you might have been able to get six weeks in an office or similar - I agree that with only about three weeks to go until the start of the autumn term finding a temp job is problematic but you might get something if you apply?
  • Sponge_Cake
    Sponge_Cake Posts: 119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    When doing supply did you not set aside cash for non working periods?

You mention a partner - partners support each other?

Had the boot been on the other foot you'd have supported him?

If you had applied to an agency before term ended you might have been able to get six weeks in an office or similar - I agree that with only about three weeks to go until the start of the autumn term finding a temp job is problematic but you might get something if you apply?

I have set some money aside but what with paying for everyday costs, I haven't got a lot of it leftover.
    I have been relying on my partner, but there's only so far his £ will stretch. To be honest I wasn't expecting people to be quite so judgemental on here, I've never claimed a penny from the state before and don't plan to in the future. I haven't been sitting around doing nothing, I've been volunteering at CAB and being fairly proactive including getting sorted for my new job in September because as anyone who teaches knows, planning is everything.
    I just wondered if any help may have been available between now and my first wage cheque in September. God knows I've paid a fair amount into the system already re tax and NI contributions.
  • northerntwo1
    northerntwo1 Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I have set some money aside but what with paying for everyday costs, I haven't got a lot of it leftover.
    I have been relying on my partner, but there's only so far his £ will stretch. To be honest I wasn't expecting people to be quite so judgemental on here, I've never claimed a penny from the state before and don't plan to in the future. I haven't been sitting around doing nothing, I've been volunteering at CAB and being fairly proactive including getting sorted for my new job in September because as anyone who teaches knows, planning is everything.
    I just wondered if any help may have been available between now and my first wage cheque in September. God knows I've paid a fair amount into the system already re tax and NI contributions.

If you have paid enough NI you will get JSA cont based. Problem is they expect you to be looking for work and taking work and I'm not sure you are as you have a job. Maybe worth looking at whether you qualify
  • midnight_express
    Options
    If you have paid enough national insurance you will be entitled to JSA conts based. You may also be entitled to some housing benefit if you are renting.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 August 2015 at 4:59PM
    Options

You are 26 yrs old and have been to uni at 18 for a 3 year degree and I assume got a 1 year PGCE to teach. So you having being pay tax and NI for approx 4 years?

And you say that you are are not paying your student loans back. Which means you are earning less than 21K a year.

So you have not been earning a lot of money so you have hardly paid anything in tax and NI. Its not a savings pot you can dip in and out of.

No one has judged you they have told you what they would have done.

As has been mentioned you might be able to claim JSA based on NI as long as you have paid enough.

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family