Has anyone been mis-sold BT TV & Sport

in Phones & TV
5 replies 658 views
Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
1.9K Posts
Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
When I was ordering a new phone and broadband line with BT last November I was sold the add-on of BT TV and Sport which I thought might be useful, although I watch very little TV and the sport would only be watched by visitors.

I was very busy in November when the line was installed and didn't have the time to look at the TV box set up, and asked my son at new year to look at it. He said that he couldn't see how it would work on my system as I use a freeview dish and box for the signal. I then asked someone from our local broadband support unit, and he said that the system needed an aeriel so it wasn't suitable. I finally got round to contacting BT in June to tell them to take it off the order as I was never asked about an aeriel - and I can't have one on the roof as it would shade solar PV and all the indoor ones offered by Maplins don't work, so had the question been asked I would certainly not have agreed to have it.

Has anyone else been mis-sold in this way? BT want to charge me £22.50 to cancel it!!!
Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!

Replies

• Dan-DanDan-Dan Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your post is a little confusing but in any event i would have thought the vendor of such a service is entitled to assume you know your own set up , before agreeing to (i.e ordering services)

Especially as its taken you 8 months to realise the issue you have
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • edited 30 July 2015 at 6:21PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July 2015 at 6:21PM
    Even without an aerial connected you would still have the on demand stuff and iPTV , and if you already have Freesat, what you would be missing from the freeview part of Youview by not having an aerial would be on your Freesat anyway.
    TBH your complaint isn't really valid, and as the fee to remove BTTV is small you should just pay it, or keep BTTV until the minimum term is up then cancel then, penalty free, from BT's point of view they supplied you with a Youview PVR that presumably has a retail value of £100+ and some pay TV channels , so if you don't keep to the terms of the contract an early termination charge isn't unreasonable, most people would know it needs an aerial, and in the T&C's it states you are responsible for having a working aerial, not them...
  • VisionManVisionMan Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    In the sign-up process the sales Advisors specifically ask 'Do you have an aerial?' So I see no mis-selling.
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I emphatically was not asked 'do you have an aerial' and that is my point. To complicate matters even more the broadband (Infinity) is so poor that in watching the news on Iplayer at lunchtime it buffered about half a dozen times. I doubt BTTV would work reliably even if I did have an aerial, which will never happen.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • edited 30 July 2015 at 8:05PM
    iniltousiniltous Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July 2015 at 8:05PM
    I emphatically was not asked 'do you have an aerial' and that is my point. To complicate matters even more the broadband (Infinity) is so poor that in watching the news on Iplayer at lunchtime it buffered about half a dozen times. I doubt BTTV would work reliably even if I did have an aerial, which will never happen.

Watching the news on I player on the Youview box you don't want or on another device ?, if it's another device is that working OK, if it's the Youview box, you want to return something that you have been using ?
    You can watch a SD stream on ordinary broadband, you don't need infinity for that, if your broadband performance is below what they estimated then report it faulty...they dont sell Infinity if your estimated speed it less than 15Mb, way in excess of what's needed to watch something on demand ,
    What speed did they say you would get , was it a self install or a managed install, if it was a managed install didn't the person demonstrate the service and the speed obtained ?,
    Obviously only you and them know for sure if they mentioned the aerial , but even so, if they sent you any contractual material (email or post) I'm sure it's quoted there..presumably you accepted the T&C's and although you may have had a chance to cancel in the first period of service by saying you didn't have an aerial, and asking them to review the sales call to see if they did or didn't mention the aerial, after this many months , you don't really have a case,
    After all this time, any recording of the sales call will probably not be available...if you think it's worth it for £20 in ETC's you could ask them if the call recording is still available and ask them to review it if it is
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides